1919 A4 Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
2,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
that has been in leather pouch??? I have some Lugers with stocks and mag. pouches...... I happened to be showing a visitor the other mags with one and when I took it out, there were streaks of slightly slimey green mold that wiped off with no trouble but how do I keep it from forming (short of plastic sandwich wrap)?????

I have a really crispy 1906 Navy with all three matching mags and a Persian aritillery, same way. I dont need a mold problem with these things moving into 5 figgers now..........

· Registered
1,018 Posts
The mold is obviously coming from your holster rather than from the mag, so step one would be to empty the holster and let it dry out. That slime needs moisture to grow. Also, you can kill the mold spores with disinfectant. Bleach would do the trick, but would probably also mess up the leather of your holster. Instead, maybe you could dampen a piece of sponge or something with Lysol or a similar disinfectant, wrap it in dry cloth and put it in the holster for a while. Check it frequently to make sure it isn't soaking through to the holster, change as necessary. You shouldn't have to do this for more than a day or two.

Another thought is that maybe you are treating the holster with something to keep it soft - and maybe applying it too heavily? If that's the case, try blotting out any excess oils/conditioners/whatever.

11,895 Posts
yeah the leather should be kept separate for storage. oil the hell out of the leather after you treat it with something that will kill the mold, but sadly dry the leather out. lysol will kill a good many molds and should not bleach out the leather.

r

· Registered
170 Posts
Heck, try this.

Yep, all good advice gents. The porous leather is causing your growth. You can neutralize this via a mild acid solution. Gently dab/coat the leather with a mild solution of white vinegar, 1 part vinegar to 10 parts water should do the trick. A great product to keep holsters soft and supple is called "Lexol." (brown bottle, automotive or leather store) NEVER use saddle soap and NEVER silicone!!!!! For outdoor boots or slings Pecard's antique dressing is good, but I prefer "SnowSeal" as it is all naturual bees wax, and makes a GREAT waterproof seal. Also Heck try and keep the leather holsters in a 'dry" atmosphere, not in a basement or cellar with high humidity. Hope it helps!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.