1919 A4 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Happens all the time. 7.62x54R conversion, have made about 400 of them over the years.

It will spike pressures a little but as long as you have good cases it should be ok.

Troy

·
Registered
7,028 Posts
....not unless you are well insured and have made out your will. It is not a good practice to shoot over-bore ammo through anything. The .311 bore projectile is standard for the .303 Brit,7.62x54R,7.7 Jap (rimmed,rimless and semi-rimmed),and as a lighter bullet (than the 175-200gr bullets in the previous cals)...for the 7.62x39. I'd suggest not putting them through a 1919 barrel....308 or 30/06. The excessive pressure generated by the over-bore .311 could blow the cartridge case into shrapnel,damage the top cover and even cause a barrel failure. Just my 2-cents....

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
What Len says is sound advise.

That said, When I first started making the 54R conversions I had concerns and spoke with Dave Manson (Manson reamers). He stated that as long as the case is fully supported and you have plenty of meat on the barrel it should be ok. He did say that barrel life with be diminished by about 1/3rd. He also referenced that the Ruger Mini 30 uses a 308 barrel. 1 of my early customers has run at least 50,000 rds of 54R through his conversion with rarely an issue.

·
Premium Member
5,467 Posts
My comment is "Why the Hell would anyone of average intelligence even ask this question" You are veering off into really uncharted waters and I don't give a rats ass what "Dave" and/or his reamers say.

This is why people get hurt/killed/disfigured.

It is impossible to even guess what the results given all the possible combinations/permutations possible with this question.

To quote Sheriff Buford T. Justice (Jackie Gleason) "You's can think about it...but Doon do it"

·
BeltFed GURU
4,394 Posts
Run them thru a .308 bullet sizing die , a good friend and 06 FFL reloader does it all the time with eastern block tracer slugs .

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
that's what i do, i've come across some weirdo com block tracers and i just hose em down in one-shot and run them through the .309 sizer.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My comment is "Why the Hell would anyone of average intelligence even ask this question" You are veering off into really uncharted waters and I don't give a rats ass what "Dave" and/or his reamers say.

This is why people get hurt/killed/disfigured.

It is impossible to even guess what the results given all the possible combinations/permutations possible with this question.

To quote Sheriff Buford T. Justice (Jackie Gleason) "You's can think about it...but Doon do it"
This is the reason I asked. Better to ask then end up hurt.

So has anyone ever slugged a barrel to see if they are truly .308? I would guess that being a machine gun barrel they would be a little looser for heat expansion. Also what about a shot out barrel?

·
Registered
250 Posts
I've shot a few hundred 54r projectiles through my 308 barrel with no ill affects. I sized them through the barrel at 2400 fps :tongue:

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Make up a few rounds with the .311 slugs and tap the rounds into the chamber. If the rounds chmber well and the slug witnesses the rifling you should have no problems. if the slug does not enter the throat then you'll have problems with overpressure.
Mil spec allows for .0025 variation with .30 slugs through the acceptable range of slug diatmeters for
.30-06and there is plenty of field experience with running .311 in .308 bore without issues as long as the throat and chamber accept the slug.
Slug the and throat and barrel, too, if it makes you feel better and measure. FWIW

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
Step back a few years

Step back a few years and consider we were supplying the Red Army with 1919's. What did they change from them running in 30-06? Then moving forward many years and now we have Troy's excellent conversions running again in 762X54. Has anyone ever slugged several mint condition Izzy barrels to check bore diameter? I've checked tear down ammo from Paragon and gotten .308, .310, and .311 bullets.

Loading data from Hodgdon calls for .308 bullets when loading 762x54.

http://www.hodgdonreloading.com/data/rifle

1 - 14 of 14 Posts