1919 A4 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,881 Posts
Don't forget the $4k it will take to get these over to this side of the pond.
They do look like nice vehicles but are a bit over priced, the British pound is worth about 1.5x what are US dollar is worth too. :mad:
You don't need an understanding wife, just a good creative divorce lawyer.:eek:
I will let you know how it goes when my wife finds out I bought one. :rolleyes:
CaptMax

·
Registered
196 Posts
CaptMax, I do not think the $4000 will cover getting it here. I had to sell my 1943 SkfZ 222 to the Audi August Horch Museum in Zwickau when I came back to the States in 2013. It seems like very body in the Federal Government wanted to issue a import permit for it. Because it was a cross-country vehicle it was going to have to be put into quarantine for three weeks by the Agriculture Department despite having the undercarriage steam cleaned. It was considered a weapon of war and was going to have to be inspected, at my cost by HLS, ATF, and Customs to verify that it could not be used as such. The German paperwork showing that it was deactivated did not count nor that there were no weapons on it either. It had the mounts. The front armor plate for the drivers compartment had been removed and replaced with mild steel. Since the engine was not running it was going to have to have special handling fees added by the shipper. I was already shipping two containers of my other vehicles and could not afford the additional $8000 to $14000 I was being quoted for shipment nor did I have the money for all of those other inspections. At least at the museum it got a new rebuild Chassis with the proper Horch V8 engine and lots of people will get to see it and enjoy it. I did not make any money on the deal but I did not go bankrupt on it either. Harry

·
Registered
4,881 Posts
CaptMax, I do not think the $4000 will cover getting it here. I had to sell my 1943 SkfZ 222 to the Audi August Horch Museum in Zwickau when I came back to the States in 2013. It seems like very body in the Federal Government wanted to issue a import permit for it. Because it was a cross-country vehicle it was going to have to be put into quarantine for three weeks by the Agriculture Department despite having the undercarriage steam cleaned. It was considered a weapon of war and was going to have to be inspected, at my cost by HLS, ATF, and Customs to verify that it could not be used as such. The German paperwork showing that it was deactivated did not count nor that there were no weapons on it either. It had the mounts. The front armor plate for the drivers compartment had been removed and replaced with mild steel. Since the engine was not running it was going to have to have special handling fees added by the shipper. I was already shipping two containers of my other vehicles and could not afford the additional $8000 to $14000 I was being quoted for shipment nor did I have the money for all of those other inspections. At least at the museum it got a new rebuild Chassis with the proper Horch V8 engine and lots of people will get to see it and enjoy it. I did not make any money on the deal but I did not go bankrupt on it either. Harry
Sorry you had to sell the SkfZ Harry, but at least you found it a home with perpetual care. Hope you got visitation rights too.
I know that customs is very perticuler when it comes to foreign soil on a vehicle coming over here, more so than what is in the cargo containers on the vehicle.:eek:
And it is easier to get a Chinese or Russian tank here than it is to bring back a US vehicle. Wonder why that is?
Thanks for the insight, but I don't plan on buying anymore military vehicles until I have this project finished!!!:rolleyes:
CaptMax

·
Registered
196 Posts
Just to beat this a bit more, my 1943 VW Kuebelwagen did not even get a second look. It was in a full size container with the Auto Union/Audi/DKW Schnellaster van and the Berkeley's. From what I could see from the Customs paperwork is that the door was opened and items were visibly verified. None of the tool boxes or parts boxes were moved so it would have been hard to check it anyway. I am repainting it now. Harry

·
Registered
5,117 Posts
Does it have to be said Harry?:rofl:

:needpics:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts