1919 A4 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I commented here earlier about "little boys" shooting. I thought about getting a dedicated .22 upper for a 5.56 gun & just switching the upper.......I called this morning. Now I find out that the new .22 uppers weigh more than a complete recent mfgred. .22 gun, by about 2 pounds..!! I noticed one at the show Sat that was 4.73 pounds for a complete gun.

I am interested in the recent mfgr .22 AR looking rifles from several different mfgrs that I see an occasional field test on in the main stream gun magazines.....important thing here is, only want to hear about the ones that dont work well. Most .22 autos that I already have, old configurations, tend to be real iffy on clean extraction/ejection....not interested in digging around in a tiny chamber area w/axe to remove an empty jammed in above a loaded chambered rnd!!!!!

Tell me which ones to avoid.

PJH

·
BeltFed GURU
4,391 Posts
I have a Model 1 Sales 20" upper that i only had to change the hammer and spring out but it is a full weight AR and it runs flawlessly not picky about ammo at all . i have seen and handled the .22LR only rifles and shooting a few i do not like them but that is my opinion !

·
Registered
559 Posts
I have a CMMG dedicated 22LR AR15 upper, and have sold several to customers. I've never had an issue with them regardless of the lower, from cheap poly lowers to quality lowers. They were pretty accurate (for the caliber) since they use a different twist than the normal 223/5.56 barrel. I haven't shot it in a while, since 22LR has been selling for ridiculous $...

·
Premium Member
2,631 Posts
I looked at several of the dedicated 22LR AR rifles and wasn't impressed with any of them. Most are polymer and look like toys. Instead I bought a DPMS 16" dedicated upper modeled on the M4, and couldn't be happier. I use it for skills drills, so it was important that the controls were the same as my 5.56 AR's. This worked out great because it uses the exact same lower (Don't come knocking, I use it with a lower marked "multi"). It uses what functions like the typical Charging handle, but with a shorter pull due to the shorter round. Mine is as or more accurate than my HB 1022, but unlike it has an empty mag activated bolt hold-back. I have not yet had a FTF. They run about $400.00, but in my opinion are well worth it. MSG

·
Registered
2 Posts
I hate to hikack the thread, but...

New guy here.....MSG, I was told by Mike at Halo Mfg. that I need to get your rivets for my 1919A4 semi build. How do I do that. I tried to contact you but it wont let me. I guess because I am new to forums. Please help. :eek:

·
Registered
559 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Back to the .22's...

I have a S&W M&P 22 (AR clone). Its a nice, light rifle if you don't want to go full weight for the "little guys" yet. weighs in at a nice 4 ish lbs, and feels right, just lighter. Haven't had any feed issues with it, probably 1k rounds of random "coffee can" ammo through it and it's cycled it all. Pretty impressed with it so far.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts