1919 A4 Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Found this today in my ventures, Oh how I love when I can get out and hunt for this stuff. :)
It's a Vietnam or Korean era TVS-4 night vision scope. Believed to be used on armored vehicles?
Definitely too big for a rifle as it's huge. It has a FSN # 5855-053-3142
Just trying to find out more information than what I could find on the internet which wasn't much. Need to locate a battery (6.75 volts?) and see if it doesn't work, looks like it will as it's in great shape and has all the tripod assembly and yoke as well. Also wondering what it may be worth. Any help is greatly appreciated. If nothing else it will look really cool setting in the "War Room" on display. :D
CaptMax

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
Hi CaptMax,
These are Vietnam era 1st generation night vision observation devices. They were typically mounted on a small tripod and not on weapons. I believe the later version "A" and "B"'s had the automatic brightness controls. Do not see these often, not great as far as starlight scopes go but better than the Korean war IR devices.

·
Registered
4,953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Redroth, your a wealth of knowledge! Thanks for sharing that. :thumbup:
I need to find out what is needed to power one of these, any idea?
CaptMax

·
BeltFed GURU
4,433 Posts
Capt.Max ,
Take a 4 AA cell pack ,pull the black wire back thru it to opposite end ,cut two copper plates one for each end strip the red and black wire on each end run thru plate one each end and solder the wire down (Marking + and - ends ). The soldering should melt the copper plates into the ends of the 4 AA pack load it with batteries and insert + end in to battery compartment ,- end should be out (body of scope is the - ) , screw cap on and flip switch to on and if the 3 intensifier tube stack is Good it will energize the the scope and the eye piece screen will light up (in the dark )and produce the image of what is out there .

I have made 4 AA conversion packs for A/N PVS-2`s ,A/N TVS -2`s and i know it will work with the A/N TVS-4 :D yes it only produces 6 V not 6.75 V But it will work !!! I have made over a dozen of these packs and they all work :D . I used to make voltage divider power supplies for the old M2 Gen 0 Sniper Scopes to run off a 12 V gel cell and for Russian night driving systems powered by a 9 V battery 15-20,000 V EHT - HURTS :eek::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

·
Registered
4,953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Capt.Max ,
Take a 4 AA cell pack ,pull the black wire back thru it to opposite end ,cut two copper plates one for each end strip the red and black wire on each end run thru plate one each end and solder the wire down (Marking + and - ends ). The soldering should melt the copper plates into the ends of the 4 AA pack load it with batteries and insert + end in to battery compartment ,- end should be out (body of scope is the - ) , screw cap on and flip switch to on and if the 3 intensifier tube stack is Good it will energize the the scope and the eye piece screen will light up (in the dark )and produce the image of what is out there .

I have made 4 AA conversion packs for A/N PVS-2`s ,A/N TVS -2`s and i know it will work with the A/N TVS-4 :D yes it only produces 6 V not 6.75 V But it will work !!! I have made over a dozen of these packs and they all work :D . I used to make voltage divider power supplies for the old M2 Gen 0 Sniper Scopes to run off a 12 V gel cell and for Russian night driving systems powered by a 9 V battery 15-20,000 V EHT - HURTS :eek::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:
Thanks BFF,
I think I know what you mean, wire them in series. I always do better deciphering schematics though.:rofl:
CaptMax

·
Premium Member
797 Posts
TVS-2 Scope and AC Adapters

Great scopes. I had a TVS-2 at one point upgraded to a red oscillator and English EEV tube which I found new. The English EEV tubes are as good as the Gen 2+ tubes. The only mod is to drill out the connector hole in the tube so the red oscillator can fit. I sold mine to a fellow that needed a TVS-2 to mount on his .50. The English EEV tubes do not have the recticle on them. I had to make one. A word of caution if you are going to use these older scopes make sure you have the green radiation filter on the scope. The lens are covered with Thorium which was used by the US military in the 50s and 60s to improve the optics. These do not get better with age. The only way to check to see if you have optics coated with Thorium is with a Gieger counter.

--fjruple

I found the AC adapters to be real useful if you have access to a power outlet at the range. The AC adapters were designed and used by the US Navy for shipboard use. The end plug is different and has to be replaced with a standard three prong plug. You can find these brand new in the original packaging. A AN/PVS-2 looks real neet on an Izzy mount for the M1919A4.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts