1919 A4 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got this in a lot of Lewis gun stuff but have no idea what it is for or if it is even for a Lewis gun. Does anyone here have any idea what this is?
Wood Tool Hand tool Metal Antique tool

Tool Household hardware Nickel Bicycle part Metal

Wood Material property Cylinder Gas Window

Font Rectangle Terrestrial animal Metal Titanium

·
Registered
399 Posts
That is an extension for an east bloc mortar sight. Not sure what it fits but the end with the handle is where the sight fits. I've got a few sights and a bipod for a Yugo 60mm mortar that uses them....
Part number looks east bloc too.

Frank

·
Premium Member
8,247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That is an extension for an east bloc mortar sight. Not sure what it fits but the end with the handle is where the sight fits. I've got a few sights and a bipod for a Yugo 60mm mortar that uses them....
Part number looks east bloc too.

Frank
Great just what I was hoping for, not! Now what the heck do I do with this thing?

·
Premium Member
8,247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The only thing you can do at this point, build a commie mortar!!:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Funny Ed, I will have it packaged up and mailed to you tomorrow so it will be your problem now. I never liked Commies 😄

·
Registered
399 Posts
You can send it to me Russ....it will fit my mount for my 60mm. Its the one I use when I shoot the thing because the other bipod is a really nice WWII 45 dated unit that I don't want to scratch. I like the commie sights much better too...
If it fits right I'll even send you money. If not I'll help you sell it. I know a bunch of mortar guys.
Frank

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
More humor.........Mortar........reminds me of a several years ago visit to an accessory shop. A guy there asked me if I was the machine gun guy. Yup. Then, I have a WW 2 Japanese mortar and several rounds for it. He jotted down his phone number and I left. Later I looked at the message, noticed the price seemed to be $10,000. Forget it. Some months later, I encountered the same guy. He said, when I didnt hear from you I sold the mortar. What did you finally get for it?? I got the $100. that I was asking.........?????????

PJH

·
Registered
737 Posts
You can send it to me Russ....it will fit my mount for my 60mm. Its the one I use when I shoot the thing because the other bipod is a really nice WWII 45 dated unit that I don't want to scratch. I like the commie sights much better too...
If it fits right I'll even send you money. If not I'll help you sell it. I know a bunch of mortar guys.
Frank
Thanks for the save Frank! I owe you one(y):ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
399 Posts
This is the bipod head for the Yugo version of the 60mm Brandt mortar. Its really similar to the US type but there is no cover on the traverse screw and the mount for the sight is obviously different. This is the back side so you can't see the screw. The sight mount is the bit on the left and the latch lever is in the unlocked position.

Light Gas Auto part Household hardware Cylinder

This is the mounting side of the sight itself. You can see the locating pin that runs through the middle of the mount pin. It insures the sight is aligned. You can't put it on upside down because the cutout in the side of the mounting pin won't lock the sight if its wrong. Typical Russian method of foolproofing the tools because its easier than training conscripts.

Gas Auto part Machine Cylinder Metal

Last is a pic of the sight on the mount. The latch lever is locked.

Camera lens Camera accessory Lens Nickel Gas

You can see that the pin on the sight looks just like the one you see on the bottom end of the extension. The top of the extension looks just like the mount on the bipod. This is the source of my thinking that the extension is for the mortar. The sights are the same for the 82mm guns and I think the 120 uses the same one though they have some more sophisticated electronic sights for the bigger mortars. They can do more electronic detonation stuff with the bigger bombs without complicating things like we do. No need for excessive training. The officers aren't conscripts....

Frank

·
Premium Member
8,247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well it's a yugo moratr part? I wonder how that got into a box of Lew stuff lol. Great work on the ID of it Frank.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts