1919 A4 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Another COVID project .... Anyone have experience loading the .577/450? I've used BP in necked-down 24 ga shotshell cases. It works well but is messy to clean so I'd like to try Trail Boss. Some suggest yes others say stick with BP. Thoughts?

·
Registered
175 Posts
Nothing wrong with using smokeless in the 577/450, there is load data on the net.
If you are a beginner, stay with black powder or a block powder substitute like Pyrodex, again there is load data on the net.
Have never used Trail Boss, but others have, and you can find load date on line.
I personally use 5744, with cat hair filler, to keep the powder charge at the base of the case.
I have a number of long hair cats, and brushing them yields me lots of filler material :>))
If you use black powder in the 577/450, you have a lot to learn about grease cookies, wads, and bullet lube.
That is why smokeless is easier to load, you will still have a lot to learn about case fillers, but you can use standard bullet lube.
Final tip, never shoot jacketed bullets in a Martini Henry 577/450 rifle, the barrel is made of mild steel, and the jacketed bullets will wear out the rifling in the barrel quickly.
Go to Gun Boards (www.gunboards.com) and find the Martini Henry forum, lots of good info to be found there.

·
Premium Member
3,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I've been reloading for 50 years but the .577/450 is new to me, which is sort of the fun. The unfilled space is a little concerning which is way I was thinking of Trail Boss but it might be a little to fast burning. There seems to be a lot of "art"w/ BP cartridges, e.g., paper patched bullets, greese cokies, fiber wads, etc.

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Thanks. I've been reloading for 50 years but the .577/450 is new to me, which is sort of the fun. The unfilled space is a little concerning which is way I was thinking of Trail Boss but it might be a little to fast burning. There seems to be a lot of "art"w/ BP cartridges, e.g., paper patched bullets, greese cokies, fiber wads, etc.
What model do you have? I am picking one up tomorrow a mark 4 year it was born 1887.
Thank care Valley

·
Premium Member
3,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Like you, mine is a MK IV dated 1887, Model C. It's travels included UK --> India --> Napal. Fun to shoot and a head turner at the range. Nice bore, nice outside, but pitting under the wood. I understand that this is typical. I've shot it with patched bullets w/ 65 gr. BP. Cleaning the BP is a PIA so I'm looking for alternatives.

·
Premium Member
3,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I don't have extra brass but there are 2 options:

Martyn Robinson at X-ring Services
[email protected]
This is reformed 24 gauge shotgun brass
About $70 for 25

Midway
Bertram Brass 577-450 Martini-Henry Box of 20
$139.99

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
I don't have extra brass but there are 2 options:

Martyn Robinson at X-ring Services
[email protected]
This is reformed 24 gauge shotgun brass
About $70 for 25

Midway
Bertram Brass 577-450 Martini-Henry Box of 20
$139.99
Thank you for the info

·
Registered
261 Posts
I am also looking for loading information for smokeless powder and a 480g bullet that matches the original velocity / trajectory

·
Registered
175 Posts
As I said, 5744 with appropriate filler to keep the powder down in the base of the cartridge, next to the primer.
Load data can be found on line.

·
Registered
30 Posts
2nd hand info so take it for what it's worth. A friend, big into Zulu war type, stuff uses Pyrotex fffg. If you all consider that black powder never mind. I think the smoke is part of the experience in firing these weapons.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts