1919 A4 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
11,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ill be there next week.
no idea if there is anything on the US side to do in the evenings? or should i just wear a vest and hide under my bed the whole time

r

·
Registered
836 Posts
Hide? I hear "CAN" hunting is a popular sport. However, being from a northern state you you might not hunt the CANadians. :rofl:

·
Registered
6,355 Posts
Other than the coastline, (75 miles) i.e. Port Aransas, (Whooping Crane Refuge) McAllen is positioned on the migratory path between North and South America, presenting bird and butterfly expeditions, I don't remember much, (did they have weed back then?) The landscape hosts quite a wildlife range. An artillery gun turret erected by the US Army and maintained throughout the WWII, is on a high dune just off Cotter St. across from the UT campus. April through November is Kemp's Ridley sea turtle (critically endangered) nesting season on South Padre. Sea Turtle Inc. identifies these nests and moves them to a safe compound until hatched and the public is invited to assist. There are dozens of scheduled releases during the summer months. McAllen is positioned on the migratory path between North and South America, presenting bird and butterfly expeditions, and the landscape hosts a diverse wildlife population. The area is on the east coast migration route of the Monarch Flutterby :thumbup: trail between USofA and EUdeMexico. The Center for Biological Diversity and the Center for Food Safety filed a legal petition requesting Endangered Species Act protection for the monarch last year. If you wanta see things that may not be around much anymore, these are some to see concentrated in one small area. Otherwise, look in the mirror each morning! Dune buggy sports and surf-side camping (next to the King Ranch area) used to be popular is a very small way there on southern South Padre in the late 60's and early 70's, but I don't know whether or not they're still permitted. Carry everything in, (no potable water, no nuttin) carry everything out!

The Valley citrus crop (third largest in the nation) includes mostly grapefruit, (red grapefruit is sweet) oranges, tangerines, tangelo and Meyer lemons. Wanna draw a crowd that loves citrus?! Get a $15 Braun juicer from Bed Bath & Beyond, go into a retail wayside citrus dealer and ask to search through their "culls," or seconds, (too blemished for retail but just as juicy) and have a party!

Oh yeah, and then there's "Boy's Town" across the border, but it's not exactly Father Flanagan's. :thinker:

Carry On!
Gary
><>

1 - 4 of 4 Posts