1919 A4 Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,
I recently ran up on a bottom and top plate. I got most of the cosmoline off but am not sure if these are for the M2HB or M3?
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated
Thanks again
G
Block plane Bumper

·
Registered
1,665 Posts

·
Registered
7,252 Posts
...au cont'rier...

Top plate is from an M3 aircraft gun,as the holes for the 3-screws that secure the rear sight are not there. Also...the cocking bracket is beefier than the M2HB,so it is definitely an M3 piece. The bottom plate,as stated,is exactly the same for both guns. Both pieces look good and should be well within spec.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Top plate is from an M3 aircraft gun,as the holes for the 3-screws that secure the rear sight are not there. Also...the cocking bracket is beefier than the M2HB,so it is definitely an M3 piece. The bottom plate,as stated,is exactly the same for both guns. Both pieces look good and should be well within spec.
My understanding is that the plates are not exactly the same, M3 plates have a relief machined in them to allow the M3 back plate to engage the side plate shoulder support cuts (terminology may not be exact, but you get the idea)? I could have an incorrect understanding though. either way, it apppears that these have the material removed to allow use of the M3 back plate.

·
Registered
7,252 Posts
Only major difference is the spade grips. But a set of M3 spades is much beefier and more $$$. Have an M2HB/M3 varient and M2HB type of spades will fit. M2HB spades will fit both. M3 type has to have a relief cut to fit properly.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts