1919 A4 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Shoutbox Messer Upper
2,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I heard that they have issued ammo to the guards at the tomb of the unknown soldier,,, I have yet to find any info to verify this... So far, it is hear say,..maybe someone here can confirm or deny this rumor....

·
Registered
3,099 Posts
I can only comment but I highly doubt this. This is not to suggest there is not an additional non-ceremonial security presence and a properly equipped on-call reaction force.

·
Registered
2,445 Posts
I would say that for sure that the tomb guard who is on duty has an unloaded M14 rifle with no magazine. The Sergeant of the guard who comes out during the changing of the guard is armed with a 9MM (SIG I think). I do not know if it is loaded but I think probably not.

If security is of concern, I would imagine a Federal police officer would be stationed in the tomb guard rest/prep area or would be available for quick response.

·
Registered
6,860 Posts
As a weapon instructor (USAF-75370),any time we were armed...we had ammo. On the range,at chow,armed until return of weapon to the armory. If any military man/woman is carrying a firearm....they should be carrying a loaded weapon. Especially during these troublesome times. There is no valid reason not to be ready to defend yourself...or anyone else.

·
11,182 Posts
Especially during these troublesome times. There is no valid reason not to be ready to defend yourself...or anyone else.
sounding a little trigger happy when discussing arms against your own population

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
sounding a little trigger happy when discussing arms against your own population
Seems to be that 2A should cover them as well as it covers us. I don't buy the liberal idea that the Law Abiding with a loaded gun makes you more likely to murder people.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
As a weapon instructor (USAF-75370),any time we were armed...we had ammo. On the range,at chow,armed until return of weapon to the armory. If any military man/woman is carrying a firearm....they should be carrying a loaded weapon. Especially during these troublesome times. There is no valid reason not to be ready to defend yourself...or anyone else.
During my time as a DoD contractor I worked with USAF personnel as well as US Army Soldiers.
When the USAF are armed, they have ammo, that was not how the US Army operates!
The Soldier's I worked with went to the USAF Academy range in order to be issued weapons by the USAF.
I was surprised that during training and when we were on mission having an M9 on your hip meant that it had a loaded magazine with one in the chamber, set on safe.
The M16's and M4's had a loaded magazine inserted, but the chamber was clear.
Shotguns all had rounds in the tubes, chambers clear.
We traveled all across the USA, did our jobs often in close proximity to US citizens.
During my time in the Army (Stateside and in Germany) I only ever had ammo while at a range, even while guarding storage depots!

Richard

·
Registered
6,860 Posts
Those of us who have seen combat...against a foreign enemy or a criminal here in the US...getting shot at is something that has to be explained to most folks. And...those of us who carry every day in our professional life...when doing so,you must have the proper mind set and training to be able to not only defend yourself,but also those who do not carry and cannot defend themselves. It is a personal responsibility. It is a state of mind and duty to our fellow citizens,our families and the Country.

"The only thing that stops a bad guy with a gun...is a good guy with a gun". I'm one of those guy's. It's my choice.

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
Use of deadly force is currently only authorized to 'protect life' or 'deter serious bodily harm' (loss of limb or eyesight). As much as Id like to believe the Old Guard has been authorized to protect the tombs at all costs, I really doubt it. Current SOP's are usually 'call the local law enforcement agency'. There is also a ton of other armed LEO's in the area. I just came off a riot detail in Buffalo, and part of our briefing was that we WERE NOT authorized deadly force to protect physical assets.

Does it suck? Yeah.

·
Shoutbox Messer Upper
2,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I don't buy the liberal idea that the Law Abiding with a loaded gun makes you more likely to murder people
Shouldn't it be that a law biding liberal with a loaded gun is more likely to commit a mass murder event? Just a observation, that's all.

Reactions: Lucky#13
1 - 13 of 13 Posts