1919 A4 Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
7,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The flags were flying at half-staff this week end for a reason...Armed Forces Day. There was a WW2 re-enactment at the Elkhart,IN air port and several groups of WW2 ,USO and home front folks were in attendance. I was invited to represent our WW1 vets and did so with a display of the Army 1917 Machine Gun Carts. Wanted to impart through pictures and dialog what is not taught in the schools and history books. Also able to display the first documented use of the 1917 Browning WC in combat during WW1. These were the only items present to commerate WW1. Found it ironic that they placed an Army trainer Stearman biplane next to me...fabric covered wings and all. Also had a few WW1 collectors who had never seen a 1917 cart and one gentleman asked me allow him to display his 1917 Browning for a few pic's on a gun cart. He also bought a 1918 Browning belt loader,as he wanted to load his cloth belts for his FA guns. Over all a fun week end. Notice that the pic's of the units going forward into combat have all their equipment and their mules pulling the carts. And then the pic of a unit coming back from combat...less equipment and.... NO MULES...!!! They then had to deploy the tow poles and cross poles to bring what they had left back. These pic's were able to explain much more than I could impart in a few minutes of discussion.

Attachments

1 - 2 of 2 Posts