1919 A4 Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys,
If you have not seen this, it is worth the look. It is pictures from the late 1980's -1990's of US arms stockpiled in Vietnam. It makes you sick looking at the piles of M2HB's, Garands, M60's etc.... To see the pictures click on the photo's tab located in the middle of the screen and scroll down.
https://www.facebook.com/ArmsDump?fref=photo

G

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
That's one reason the wars were involved in cost so damn much in $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$. Not too mention the lives lost.

That's probably nothing compared to the Middle East!:eek:

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
Guys,
If you have not seen this, it is worth the look. It is pictures from the late 1980's -1990's of US arms stockpiled in Vietnam. It makes you sick looking at the piles of M2HB's, Garands, M60's etc.... To see the pictures click on the photo's tab located in the middle of the screen and scroll down.
https://www.facebook.com/ArmsDump?fref=photo

G
Talked to an importer of aircraft parts who saw these while searching Vietnam for crates of vintage airplane components.
The pictured material was being concentrated to one location as part of a scrap drive.
It has all since been melted into ingots of steel and sold to other countries in the Pacific rim.
He spoke of going to a local Gov't building and noticing the low fence around the place was made of M1 rifle op-rods!

I spoke to another gent who recounted the smelting of US aircraft by US scrap dealers on a Pacific island post WWII.
In the 1960's a great deal of WWII weapons were smelted down in the UK.

It is just the cycle of life for military weapons..

Richard

·
Registered
6,355 Posts
If you think these pic's are bad -- try to guess where the war materiel the so-called Islamic Republic (ISIS) is using against Iraq, Syria, et. al. came from! Tanks, Humvee's, small, medium & heavy arms ....

Carry On!
Gary
><>

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
I seem to recall seeing a story years ago where Vietnam tried to send a boat load of M60 machine guns to the Philippines and the U.S. Navy intercepted it. Just what authority the US Navy had to interfere with commerce between the two countries I don't know. Maybe some how we still claimed some kind of ownership to them or maybe Vietnam agreed not to do that and tried to do it anyway.

At any rate we would never have seen any of that stuff on the surplus market even if it was offered. Not even parts sets I am sure.

·
Registered
4,704 Posts
There's still a bunch of fully operational toys over there. Lots and lots of ammo too. There's guys there that rent out full auto goodies and grenade/rocket launchers much like we do here at machine gun shoots.

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
There's still a bunch of fully operational toys over there. Lots and lots of ammo too. There's guys there that rent out full auto goodies and grenade/rocket launchers much like we do here at machine gun shoots.
I went to dinner the other day with my cousin and her husband. They talked about their trip to Vietnam where he got to shoot a ".30 caliber Browning Machine gun mounted on a jeep". So I know this is true.

·
Premium Member
5,467 Posts
I'll bet lots of the leftovers even date to the 1946-1954 period when the French were trying to reassert control of their former colony. The US supplied almost all the equipment/uniforms to the French is exchange for acting as our surrogate in Asia/Indo-China to stop the communist takeover. No one in the US wanted an Asian land mass ground war especially with our commitments in Europe and Japan.

·
Registered
4,459 Posts
I'll bet lots of the leftovers even date to the 1946-1954 period when the French were trying to reassert control of their former colony. The US supplied almost all the equipment/uniforms to the French is exchange for acting as our surrogate in Asia/Indo-China to stop the communist takeover. No one in the US wanted an Asian land mass ground war especially with our commitments in Europe and Japan.
The French would never act as our surrogates. After WWII they were allowed to repossess their colony by Churchill while he gave away the British Colonies. All this was done so France would not loose their self esteem. Read "The First Domino" by James R Arnold.

·
Registered
2,819 Posts
The French would never act as our surrogates. After WWII they were allowed to repossess their colony by Churchill while he gave away the British Colonies. All this was done so France would not loose their self esteem. Read "The First Domino" by James R Arnold.
To an extent, this is true. However, the French (as well as the Dutch in their colonies) were in no condition to take up their pre-war control. For roughly six months (but sometimes up to 18 months) after WWII the Japanese acted as the police on behalf of USA.

In VN, the WWII partisans were led by Ho Chi Minh in the fight against the Japs. Naturally, Ho had an alliance with the US. Ho didn't want the French to come back to rule VN; the French were clamoring at the US to help them do so. Ho fully expected the US to side with him (then again, so did the Chetniks in Yugo) and didn't mind being the US Asian proxy. But he failed to monitor the blossoming anti-communist sentiment in USA. And that was the end of his good relationship with USA. As it turned out, the French did NOT have the strength to rule VN, and when the US had to bail them out, Uncle Ho was now enemy #1.

Today VNA has stockpiles of antique US arms, most for sale on the black market. Many have made it into the Muslim war, that's why we saw photos of MG34s and such in Iraq.

·
Registered
4,459 Posts
..... Ho fully expected the US to side with him (then again, so did the Chetniks in Yugo) and didn't mind being the US Asian proxy. But he failed to monitor the blossoming anti-communist sentiment in USA. And that was the end of his good relationship with USA. As it turned out, the French did NOT have the strength to rule VN, and when the US had to bail them out, Uncle Ho was now enemy #1.....
The OSS was on Ho's side but Dulles was not. Ho's biggest problem is that he had registered with the French Communist Party in the 30's to fight for independence. We ignored the reasons why he did and labeled him a communist.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts