1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
3,204 Posts
http://www.wearethemighty.com/artic...nning-to-combine-2-legendary-weapons-into-one

Looks like planning on shaving the barrel down to 10lbs, titanium reciever. Laser rangefinding optics. They are also considering a unspecified hybrid weapon between M2 and the 40mm grenade launcher.
They cant even get the M2A1 to work correctly.

The replacement for the M203, the M320, is a giant, bulky pain in the ass when connected to the M4.

Im all for development, but these R&D guys need to spend more time in the field and less time in the lab.

·
Registered
4,459 Posts
They cant even get the M2A1 to work correctly.

The replacement for the M203, the M320, is a giant, bulky pain in the ass when connected to the M4.

Im all for development, but these R&D guys need to spend more time in the field and less time in the lab.
They just can't stand the fact that the M2, that was invented almost 100 years ago, is still the best thing out there.

·
Registered
3,204 Posts
They just can't stand the fact that the M2, that was invented almost 100 years ago, is still the best thing out there.
Im not one of those old school 'in my day, we had the best weapons made' kind of guys. Every weapon we field today has merit over the weapon it replaced....EXCEPT that friggen M2A1. Junk. You are correct in saying the M2 just cannot be improved. Accessories may be added and mounts can be changed, but the internals....dont mess with them.

·
Premium Member
2,712 Posts
.... Accessories may be added and mounts can be changed, but the internals....dont mess with them.

I was toying with the idea of doing exactly that. Build the Receiver box out of Titanium, lighten the barrel (fluting), and use some of the lighter internal components from the M3 to decrease weight. Then incorporate an integral, Maxi type compensator in the end of the barrel to decrease the recoil impulse and maintain the same cyclic rate of fire. Just finesse the original design, don't mess up something that works.

·
Premium Member
6,947 Posts
Lucky13 and I just had this conversation two days ago kind of. We were talking about turning a few ****** of titanium into Browning bolts to toy with his high speed project and see if we can really get her singing. I have a few chunks I have been sitting on but have yet to figure out what to do with them so it seemed logical.

·
Registered
739 Posts
They will waste a bunch of money and end up with an overpriced pile of **** that doesn't work. They want to design a new round.... I mean.... Really? A weapon that is 20 pounds lighter but fires what has to be a heavier round? It's like there are two different projects going on and neither side is talking to the other.

The heavy caliber belt fed is done. The design is done. We can have a conversation about the DShKA, but I doubt the US army will ever adopt a commbloc weapon.

Browning perfected the blowback locking pistol. Mauser perfected the bolt action. Browning locked down the belt gun, via the M-2 or the M-240. These designs have been out there for nearly 100 years. Why screw with them?

·
Registered
746 Posts
They screw with them because there is a ton of money to be made if the armed forces upgrade to a new system

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
512 Posts
The engineers need a job, and to prove how smart they are! So they come up with all these hair brain ideas in order to get funding to keep their job. It's called self preservation.

Steve

·
Registered
5,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I had started reading the article on vapor ware and thought, what a load of crap. Sounds like someone trying to combine the game of baseball and tennis or an Elephant Fing a mouse. I thought the titanium M2 might be worthy for its weight savings, but as others have said using new materials to lighten the design but changing....not so much.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts