1919 A4 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
yep, I am new to the game and I want to mount a 1919a4 on the front of an ATV.

Has anyone ever done this?

Any ideas what parts I would need?

Any suggestions and comments?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Reply re Atv mounts

Hello, I think you will want to human engineer how you would fire it, ie on the move or fixed.. I presume you mean a 4-wheeler not an ARGO or A MAX both of which would take a pedistal mount and yokes such as carried by Guilette industries or possibly a cradle like sarco sells.. In the 4-wheeler case ypu will want to fabricate something to clamp on to the rear rack or the handle bars ..... which sounds great at first but start thinking a little contrarian and you may decide for the back of the 4=wheeler....some type of cradle or ammo can co-orienter is a must.... the clamp isn't that hard but you will need a socket like the two aforementioned companies sell.. Good luck .. Ninjaiguana

·
Registered
89 Posts
I too have thought of this. I sketched a plan last summer to mount a pintle to the front rack of my honda rancher. It never happened though. I was thinking of a 3 legged tripod of sorts that I could u-clamp to the rack, with a simple c channel pintle similar to the ones used on the mg-42 tripods. Along with a can holder like the mg42 pods uses. Shouldn't be any big deal. I wanted something to take to the river bottom without lugging all that stuff by hand. :D

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have a Honda Rancher & I wanted to mount it on the front rack.

I had thought about mounting it on the rear, but you can't shoot while facing forward or moving (I know, that probably isn't going to happen & is probably stupid), but I want to be able to pull up to the line and let loose with it.

I was thinking of a mount that held the ammo box to the side & held another ammo box to the left side to catch links and brass.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Find a copy of FIREPOWER magazine, JULY 1985. Under the heading of "RAPID ATTACK TRANSPORT", they mounted a M60 with spade grips and ammo can on a Honda TRX-200. Pretty impressive. They give dimensions on making the "mounting column" (pedistal mount),I dont have a scanner and these pics are probably copyrighted anyway.

·
Premium Member
667 Posts
I built a heavy duty roof for my Polaris Ranger and have a 12" pedestal mount I'm going to put on top. Will accept standard cradles (and with appropriate adapters) I can stick just about anything on it :cool: !! Just waiting to sandblast the roof and coat with Durabak.

·
Registered
106 Posts
1919 on an ATV

Well, almost enough people to have our own forum. I'm in the process of doing it now to the rear of an Arctic Cat. Will use the trailer hitch to mount a pedestal and brace it off the rear rack. I can either sit down facing backwards to shoot or get off and stand up to use it as AA. I'm planning on Emory's twin mount with a pintle on it so I can shoot it off here or off the M2 or any other socket quickly. I've got stuff that shoots fast to mount on the front. The 1919's are for serious shooting. Jim

·
Registered
40 Posts
We have passenger seats on the back of our atv's so Ive been looking into/planning a side mount for the rear passenger - I have an older (read replaced 'cause I Bent it bashing over rocks) foot guard/plate that Im planning on welding a tube and pintle adapter to. Plan to brace it off the rear rack and set up a travel limiter so the driver doesnt their head toasted by a hot shroud. Still it will only be usable from one side. Then again I keep having nightmares about burning the driver or worse shooting them.

I think for a saftey issue the front mount may be the way to go, but then again you cant crankfire and drive sooo.... Ive basically left this at some chicken scratch design on paper stage.

Once I get a FA one, I may ponder it some more

·
Premium Member
1,152 Posts
I was thinking the same thing over the 4th weekend. All I need to do is change the glass with plywood and fasten down the tripod.

·
Registered
106 Posts
ATV's

We should stay in touch and keep each other informed as to progress of these ideas. I'm moving along with mine as it's number 1 on the to do list. Sure like the looks of the 8 wheeler. Pedestal mount would work nicely on that one. Jim

·
Registered
204 Posts
Hey guys not to be a buzz kill or anything, but make sure you know your state laws. I took my wife to a hunters education course so she could get a hunting licencse and found out that a very common practice is very illegal in my state. In the state of virginia it is illegal to discharge a firearm from a vehicle, and believe it or not they consider an ATV to be a vehicle. Pretty gay if you ask me. The sherrif told us if we hunt on ATV's thats fine, but if we see game we have to get off of the ATV and can not use it as a rest. I doubt you would ever have an issue but you probably would want to be carefull where you shot your rig, at least here in VA.

Robo

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
robo4642 said:
Hey guys not to be a buzz kill or anything, but make sure you know your state laws. I took my wife to a hunters education course so she could get a hunting licencse and found out that a very common practice is very illegal in my state. In the state of virginia it is illegal to discharge a firearm from a vehicle, and believe it or not they consider an ATV to be a vehicle. Pretty gay if you ask me. The sherrif told us if we hunt on ATV's thats fine, but if we see game we have to get off of the ATV and can not use it as a rest. I doubt you would ever have an issue but you probably would want to be carefull where you shot your rig, at least here in VA.

Robo
Those rules sound very simular to what we have in NH, The exception to the shooting from a ATV is if your handicaped. We have hunters who are paralized and use the ATV's to get around.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Yeah ditto on the hadicaped part.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Got a handicap placard

Got a placard so that's no problem. Colorado has really dumb law insofar as if you are from out of state you can use an ATV. If you're a resident you can't. Go figure. Got a NM title for it. I do most of my hunting from my bedroom window. ATV and Brownings are just to play with in the woods. Jim

·
Registered
106 Posts
WTB M25 pedestal mount

OK guys, here's what I'm going to try to use to mount the twins to the back of my ATV. I'll rig the bottom to lock into the trailer hitch and brace the sides off the rear rack. Will be starting as soon as I can nail down an M25. Give me a call if anybody wants to discuss this on the phone 970-731-0604 Jim

·
Registered
106 Posts
Pretty Simple

Once you find out what's available it's not hard to figure out how to do this. Got most of the basics ordered and on the way. First thing to do is to figure out how to mount a 2" receiver hitch to the ATV. Everything else is bolt on. Jim

1 - 18 of 18 Posts