1919 A4 Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
PhD in Over-Engineering
12,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not what you are thinking!!! More earth shattering news than Hiroshima!!! Turns out it wasn't AlGore after all!!!

In 1991, on this date, Tim Berners-Lee released files describing his idea for the World Wide Web, and puts up the first website, running on a NeXT computer at CERN, in France.

:jedicrying:

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
Even more important!

It's my daughter's birthday.

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
Not what you are thinking!!! More earth shattering news than Hiroshima!!! Turns out it wasn't AlGore after all!!!

In 1991, on this date, Tim Berners-Lee released files describing his idea for the World Wide Web, and puts up the first website, running on a NeXT computer at CERN, in France.

I call Bull-Twinkies... Everyone knows it was Brian Williams. He even said so... on the internet!! So obviously it HAS to be true.:D

·
Registered
4,953 Posts
I remember when the guys at the computer shop were amazed at the pentium 60 computer I had recently bought back in '93, it was the first Pentium in this town. Back then it was telnet and there was no GUI interface, pictures were done in ASCI only. I had a DX4-100 before that and only used it for games and word processing. The ram cost me $200 for an extra 4 megabytes back then. Boy am I getting old!!! :(
CaptMax

·
Registered
742 Posts

And the NeXT computer is on display now at CERN headquarters.

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
Only 20 years?

I am trying to figure out where the last 20 years has gone. Time flys by too fast.
Twenty years doesn't go back far enough for some. Try summer of 71', I was writing programs in Fortran and COBOL. Next they went into the punch card machine so they could be loaded into an IBM 1130. Somewhere I heard the Smithsonian now has one in their inventory.
Now do you really think twenty years is much time?

For amusement I still have a Packard Bell on the shelf, hard drive is maybe half a gig.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts