1919 A4 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few months ago I bought a WWI M1917 bronze tripod socket that had been "dug up" some where. The top of the socket had been bent back, from what I don't know. I took a chance that I might been able to heat it and bend it back without breaking the section off. A friend who's a retired machinist and I worked on it for several weeks. Most of the time spent removing all the rusted steel parts -clutch plates, clamp screws etc. Finally we did the torch work and within a hour we had it bent back in position. It still need some additional heat to smooth out the circle/top.

most M1917A1 socket parts will fit the M1917. I also have the azmuith dial, second version. This too needs to be strengthen out. I am looking for the mounting hardware/clips for the dial as well as the stop that attached at the front. I suspect that this socket was converted to M1917A1 during its life as it has the second version of the dial.

Any clue as how the WWI M1917 tripod legs were built? were the "feet" welded/brazed in place or riveted?

I hope to restore the tripod back to its WWI configuration but finding the cradle, let alone the missing traversing gear, will be a tough act to follow. Then again, I did find a socket.

See attached before and after pics. IMG_1572.JPG IMG_1624.JPG

·
PhD in Over-Engineering
12,205 Posts
Any clue as how the WWI M1917 tripod legs were built? were the "feet" welded/brazed in place or riveted?

I hope to restore the tripod back to its WWI configuration but finding the cradle, let alone the missing traversing gear, will be a tough act to follow. Then again, I did find a socket.
The feet are called out for .187" rivets as well as for being brazed at the joint. The data plate is screwed on the rear leg on these early pods, not riveted through as on the A1 production.

Good luck on finding a cradle. I've only seen complete tripods, some with the worm gear and some without. But never have seen loose parts of any kind. I'm not expecting to find a worm gear for my pod, but may get some made up in time. It will be an expensive little set of parts.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Thanks Lucky13

The feet are called out for .187" rivets as well as for being brazed at the joint. The data plate is screwed on the rear leg on these early pods, not riveted through as on the A1 production.

Good luck on finding a cradle. I've only seen complete tripods, some with the worm gear and some without. But never have seen loose parts of any kind. I'm not expecting to find a worm gear for my pod, but may get some made up in time. It will be an expensive little set of parts.

Thanks Lucky 13 - are M1917A1 legs made the same way? Looking to find a set that are M1917 or as close as I can find given the rarity of parts. Can you post a pic or 2 of the M1917 leg's feet?

If you decide to make the worm gear and or the early style azimuth ring, I'll buy a set.

I plan to look for a M1917A1 cradle as an interim measure.

I see in pictures, they made a sheet metal tear-shape to cover the worm gear openings on the socket. How were they fastened?

Last - do you have the 2 mounting screws/clips for the ring? haven't been able to locate them.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Glassmountains

Great job! I thought about buying it but had always heard you couldn't bend bronze/brass back like that without breaking it.
Yes, glad it turned out well. Still needs some more shaping which we will tackle on Sunday. Drill out the old screws and re tap if necessary. Bought a demilled M1917A1 socket from SARCO for the socket clutch plates, studs and clamp. Looking for a set of legs that are M1917A1 but look close to WWI style if possible.

Thanks again on your color print of M1917 MG drawings.

·
Registered
6,945 Posts
...on gunboker...

Saw a demilled set of legs and feet for the 1917 tripod a few days ago on GB. Might check it out....

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks L999

Saw a demilled set of legs and feet for the 1917 tripod a few days ago on GB. Might check it out....
Thanks L999. Checked GB, couldn't find them or auction ended. If you go back to GB, please check and post the item number and I'll look again.

·
PhD in Over-Engineering
12,205 Posts
Thanks Lucky 13 - are M1917A1 legs made the same way? Looking to find a set that are M1917 or as close as I can find given the rarity of parts. Can you post a pic or 2 of the M1917 leg's feet?

If you decide to make the worm gear and or the early style azimuth ring, I'll buy a set.

I plan to look for a M1917A1 cradle as an interim measure.

I see in pictures, they made a sheet metal tear-shape to cover the worm gear openings on the socket. How were they fastened?

Last - do you have the 2 mounting screws/clips for the ring? haven't been able to locate them.
As far as I can tell, the 1917A1 legs are virtually identical, with only minor changes for ease of manufacture. I don't have the dimensional drawings for the A1 legs, only the assembly view drawings, which show the individual component drawing numbers. But it also states that the joints to be welded, rather than the early call out for brazing. Also, no reference to rivets remains. But there are all kinds of variations on actual pod legs observed, and it is very difficult to know where and when they were made. While my 1917 pod is wrapped up at the moment, if you need any more specific pics I can drag it out and take what you need.

Definitely going to make the early azimuth ring, as you know the late ring has already been done. At that time, the required hardware will also get done. Don't have any loose parts for these, nor have I ever seen any.

The cavity for the worm gear seems to have two variations, when the mechanism is not present. My one loose socket had the finished cavity with a bolt, washers and nut filling the void. On my complete pod the cavity seems like it is partially cast in on the inside, but it is difficult to tell if sealing plates were attached outside or if they never finished the cavity at the factory. I lean towards the latter, based on what I could see and feel when I examined that a while back. It appears to me that the pods were still in production when the worm gear was deleted, so it is very possible that sockets came out without that area being finished, and some came out where it was plugged. Without removing original paint, I am unable to tell more than that. Obviously, I am not inclined to remove paint! But I think we may get access to another socket or two where that is not a factor, and then we might get a better look at how they did that. A couple of friends of mine have A1 conversion pods with that same configuration.

Here are a couple of pics I have handy. May not have all the info you need, but it's a start.

[URL=http://s232.photobucket.com/user/DualFeed/media/Tripod/IMG_0016%20-%20Copy%20800x190_zpsy7szu4hh.jpg.html]

[/URL]

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ths again Lucky#13

As far as I can tell, the 1917A1 legs are virtually identical, with only minor changes for ease of manufacture. I don't have the dimensional drawings for the A1 legs, only the assembly view drawings, which show the individual component drawing numbers. But it also states that the joints to be welded, rather than the early call out for brazing. Also, no reference to rivets remains. But there are all kinds of variations on actual pod legs observed, and it is very difficult to know where and when they were made. While my 1917 pod is wrapped up at the moment, if you need any more specific pics I can drag it out and take what you need.

Definitely going to make the early azimuth ring, as you know the late ring has already been done. At that time, the required hardware will also get done. Don't have any loose parts for these, nor have I ever seen any.

The cavity for the worm gear seems to have two variations, when the mechanism is not present. My one loose socket had the finished cavity with a bolt, washers and nut filling the void. On my complete pod the cavity seems like it is partially cast in on the inside, but it is difficult to tell if sealing plates were attached outside or if they never finished the cavity at the factory. I lean towards the latter, based on what I could see and feel when I examined that a while back. It appears to me that the pods were still in production when the worm gear was deleted, so it is very possible that sockets came out without that area being finished, and some came out where it was plugged. Without removing original paint, I am unable to tell more than that. Obviously, I am not inclined to remove paint! But I think we may get access to another socket or two where that is not a factor, and then we might get a better look at how they did that. A couple of friends of mine have A1 conversion pods with that same configuration.

Here are a couple of pics I have handy. May not have all the info you need, but it's a start.

[URL=http://s232.photobucket.com/user/DualFeed/media/Tripod/IMG_0016%20-%20Copy%20800x190_zpsy7szu4hh.jpg.html]

[/URL]
Thanks for the info and pics.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Back from the dead - M1917 Tripod Socket Update Nov 2017

All - My friend, a retired machinist, was able to bend back the top of the M1917 tripod socket. We spend considerable time after rounding out the track for the stops and to fit the azmuith ring, which moves freely in the track. Made brass tear shape covers for the worm gear openings. Now I am cleaning up the legs, clamps etc to assemble the socket. On the look out for an early M1917A1 cradle with the brass finger grove knobs for the T&E mech. Will post pics when the socket is back together. Thanks to all for the help I received with questions and suggestions I had posted earlier over the summer..

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,681 Posts
Very well done sir you just saved a wonderful piece of history.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Back from the dead - M1917 Tripod Socket Update Nov 2017

Thanks L999, I have all the parts to put the socket and legs together. Looking for a M1917 cradle and/or parts too but not getting my hopes up. Will settle for an early M1917A1 cradle for now.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Back from the Dead - Tripod back together!!

All - just finished reassembling the repaired M1917 tripod socket with hardware and legs. Painted it WWII flat OD with a rub down with 3-in-1 oil. Also found a repro M1917 brass name plate for Crown Cork & Seal. Has second version of azimuth dial I purchased from Toolman203. Very happy with the way it came out. Now on to find an early M1917A1 cradle.

Again thanks to all whom answered my questions and offered suggestions etc.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,681 Posts
Looks great :cool: I will keep my eyes open for the right cradle for you.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts