1919 A4 Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4,704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got two tins about five or six years ago. Just getting around to use them. Over fifty % FTF's!
Shite primers. The powder burns a lot cleaner in a loose pile than it does in the gun. (PPsh41)
Pulled a few bullets and the inside of the case at the base is a sickly green near the flash holes. Verdigris, nice and thick commingled with the powder. Others just have a dark discoloration going from one hole to the other (Berdan) like a path. A chemical degradation path etched in the brass. Just effing wunnerful!

I wanted more bullets for the AutoMag lll, but not this way.:jedicrying:

Anyone else get a bad batch of this stuff?
Any suckers wanna buy a thousand rounds or so?? Hmm??;)

I finally broke down and popped for a Hornady bullet puller some time back with collets for 9mm and .223.
The 9mm collet works just fine for .30 cal, BTW.

I'm still weighing options, but don't see many yet. Smokeless powder is awfully expensive for plant fertilizer. If it's double based powder, I can dump it into a plastic container and cover it with acetone about less than half by volume and let it turn to goo. It's great for fuse sealer on fireworks or used for match primes.
The powder has only been in the cases for thirty years. As ammo goes, that's still 'young'. It could have been in a bin at the back of a warehouse for another forty before it was used though.
I figure the brass is headed for recycling.
Whatta waste.:mad:

·
Registered
4,704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
PPsh41. Made by TNW, sold by MGS. The original firing pin broke in the first 100 rounds. The new one works fine. Plenty deep strike.
Had to make one myself. TNW can't seem to answer a phone unless the message you leave indicates you wish to buy more stuff from them.
I tried several times over a two year period. Not like I didn't give them a chance. Actually, this is the second pin I made. Didn't temper the first properly and it snapped.

PPU Mauser ammo is 100% sure fire in it, but it's too weak to cycle the gun as I expected it would be. Won't extract due to incomplete bolt travel and jams every time. I got that weaker ammo for the Mauser pistol. Just used some to test the FP.

I pulled a few more down. One had wet looking powder. Almost like green sand for casting. It stuck to it's self when pressed together. Nasty looking.

Are you guys SURE you don't wanna buy this ammo??;)

I've been having some really truly strange things happening with ammo this last couple years. I'll try to post pics later.

·
Premium Member
3,032 Posts
Great. Now I have to dig out my supply of 7.62x25 and check it. Any chance the headstamp numbers will be on the outside of the crates? I really don't want to have to open all of them. It may be ten years before I really need them.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Wow. At todays prices two tins is a big loss.
Must have been improper storage that killed it rather than age.
My 1952 Polish Tokarev ammo runs great in my guns.

·
Registered
7,893 Posts
If it's any consolation I've had the same issues with my PPSH. I was foolish enough to dump all my rounds [mixed] into 50 BMG ammo cans, so I never know what to expect when shooting them, but I've learned to live with it. It's not used for self defense scenarios, so I'm in no real danger of getting hurt while using it. :)

·
Registered
4,704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If it's any consolation I've had the same issues with my PPSH. I was foolish enough to dump all my rounds [mixed] into 50 BMG ammo cans, so I never know what to expect when shooting them, but I've learned to live with it. It's not used for self defense scenarios, so I'm in no real danger of getting hurt while using it. :)
This is all from the same batch. That IS how I have most of it stored too. What wouldn't fit in the can is in a cardboard box on top of the fifty can.
Is there something I should know about not storing like batches of ammo in bulk, or are you referring to mixing batches and head stamps?
No more bad news please. :D

This was always stored in a dry area. Maybe not a controlled environment, but dry.
The stuff in the can is still shiny on the outside. It has a bit better fire % than the open box stuff.The ammo in the cardboard box is fugly.

·
Registered
391 Posts
that's 7.62x25 right?

where did you buy it?

what kind of spam can was it in? silver[50s] or green[80s] ??

any other marks on head stamp?
thanks

·
Registered
7,893 Posts
This is all from the same batch. That IS how I have most of it stored too. What wouldn't fit in the can is in a cardboard box on top of the fifty can.
Is there something I should know about not storing like batches of ammo in bulk, or are you referring to mixing batches and head stamps?
No more bad news please. :D

This was always stored in a dry area. Maybe not a controlled environment, but dry.
The stuff in the can is still shiny on the outside. It has a bit better fire % than the open box stuff.The ammo in the cardboard box is fugly.
Oh gosh - I'm the dumb one here. I have shiny, dull, and copper washed cases all mixed together. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
22-84

that is Romanian ammo made in 1984, I have a couple of cases I bought ages, ages ago. I may get a few duds from time to time, but 99 percent of it all goes bang

·
Registered
4,704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
that's 7.62x25 right?

where did you buy it?

what kind of spam can was it in? silver[50s] or green[80s] ??

any other marks on head stamp?
thanks
Yup, 7.62x25
Green can. 84 date. Only marks were a '22' over an '84'.

Funny (NOT) story there. I ordered a crate. That's two tins in a wooden box.
I bought the ammo on the same ticket as the rifle from Machine Gun Supply and had it shipped to The Gun Broker franchise in Clackamas, OR.

I showed up to collect my purchase and the guy hands me the rifle in an opened box. The way it should be. He has to enter it into his bound book, right?
Then he hands me a tin. Just one, not two. No box, no wooden crate.
I say there's supposed to be a full crate with two tins. He says that's all that came on the truck.
There's a UPS tag on the rifle's shipping box. Nothing on the tin.
I ask him where's the box that the tin was shipped in. He says there was no box, just that ONE tin.

I have a copy of the UPS form right there on the rifles box.
It clearly shows two boxes shipped and the WEIGHT. It adds up to just over the weight of the rifle and a FULL CRATE.

I ask him if there's no shipping tag for that tin, then just how the f*** did the UPS guy know where to delivery that tin.
A$$hole thief. PERIOD.

Told MGS what happened. They shipped another box to my home addy. I even mentioned I felt bad for MGS because the guy at that store is getting away with it. The MGS guy sounded like they were used to that kind of thing from them.:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Don't sweat it, Brass. That's how all one brand of .22 got thrown together, but from different lots. Could be one crappy box of 525 screwing up the other good, many K's of rounds. Who knows?

·
Registered
391 Posts
dang

dang I have a bunch of that.
Have you tried that ammo in a cz52 ,tt33 or full auto gun ppsh41/pps43?
If no I might buy it from you!

Yup, 7.62x25
Green can. 84 date. Only marks were a '22' over an '84'.

Funny (NOT) story there. I ordered a crate. That's two tins in a wooden box.
I bought the ammo on the same ticket as the rifle from Machine Gun Supply and had it shipped to The Gun Broker franchise in Clackamas, OR.

I showed up to collect my purchase and the guy hands me the rifle in an opened box. The way it should be. He has to enter it into his bound book, right?
Then he hands me a tin. Just one, not two. No box, no wooden crate.
I say there's supposed to be a full crate with two tins. He says that's all that came on the truck.
There's a UPS tag on the rifle's shipping box. Nothing on the tin.
I ask him where's the box that the tin was shipped in. He says there was no box, just that ONE tin.

I have a copy of the UPS form right there on the rifles box.
It clearly shows two boxes shipped and the WEIGHT. It adds up to just over the weight of the rifle and a FULL CRATE.

I ask him if there's no shipping tag for that tin, then just how the f*** did the UPS guy know where to delivery that tin.
A$$hole thief. PERIOD.

Told MGS what happened. They shipped another box to my home addy. I even mentioned I felt bad for MGS because the guy at that store is getting away with it. The MGS guy sounded like they were used to that kind of thing from them.:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Don't sweat it, Brass. That's how all one brand of .22 got thrown together, but from different lots. Could be one crappy box of 525 screwing up the other good, many K's of rounds. Who knows?

·
Registered
4,704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'm gonna hang on to the shiny stuff in the ammo can. I only have the PPsh41 in that caliber. So far.
Thinking about a pistol some time down the road.
I have a practical use for the remainder of that ammo. At least the bullets anyhow.

The ones that don't go bang will be pulled down.:(

I can't see selling them at a loss, or knowingly boning a fellow member. Not worth it to me.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts