1919 A4 Forums banner

21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
2,964 Posts
If no one has food storage , then they can step in and control the food and therefore control the people . It's about control , not cans.
Chris
Yeah I follow there but will you just not move to a smaller size can? I seriously know nothing on the subject... I guess it would cost more to do it in smaller cans... however I don't see how this would stop you.

If they banned sales of bullets in 1000rd crates, I would just buy two 500rd crates... Sure it might cost a bit more but its not going to stop anyone...

If I am still missing it, please explain as I honestly don't understand and would like to.

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
That I don't know . Everyone just seamed to use the #10 . Prob'ly for convenience due to volume , ease of stacking , moving around . You know ...not too big nor too small . Maybe the machines did not adapt to different sizes . Just never got into that .
Chris

·
11,302 Posts
emma, is it just the empty cans you cant find or #10 filled with foods? restaurant supply stores are still selling them full. i found empty cans at supply houses too.

i think you are managing the effects of the changing shopping of the us consumer. your whole canned veggie and fruit areas are shrinking and the fresh produce is getting much larger. i couldn't tell you the last time i ate a canned green bean/corn/pea. i just prefer fresh.

·
Premium Member
5,484 Posts
I think all the retailers by us have #10 cans still? I buy at least eight at a time when I make sauce and they are much easier to deal with.

·
11,302 Posts
i still buy tomatoes in cans and larger at times.

but holy ****, russ, how much are you making at a time?!?!?!

·
Registered
715 Posts
I love this place! Where else can you go from a government conspiracy to seize milling machines to a government conspiracy to do away with larger food storage containers, all in one page of posts? I'm loving this. You want control? Wait another 15 years when you'll only be able to drive autonomous cars on public roads and you won't be allowed to own them-you will lease them from the manufacturer because you can't be trusted to not monkey with the CPU or stay current with updates. The Fed's will know everywhere you went, every stop you made, and how long you were where. Why do you think the Fed's aren't pushing back hard on legalized dope? Take everyone's guns, get them doped up with cheap weed, give them a "government paid minimum income" so they can sit on their asses all day playing video games. That way they can't make trouble if they have a lucid moment and realize how much their life sucks. It can't get much more controlling than that. But I digress. Let's get back to the #10 can shortage and the revelation that Toolman203 is evidently quite the sauce fan (as am I, truth be told)...

·
Premium Member
5,484 Posts
i still buy tomatoes in cans and larger at times.

but holy ****, russ, how much are you making at a time?!?!?!
When I make sauce it a BATCH lol usually eight #10 cans and my girls, mom and friends usually grab some. You missed it at the creek last fall but someday you will have to join us for dinner at the hotel. Besides I am Italian and if four people are coming for dinner that means you have to make enough food for forty, it a rule.

·
11,302 Posts
im jsut trying to think of what pot it takes for that level of saucing.

I do have a 36" ish wok that i use for some larger things but this is huge.

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
My parents canned tomatoes for many, many years. In the glass canning jars. My wife and I have never canned anything. But it might be fun to do some venison.

·
Premium Member
646 Posts
im jsut trying to think of what pot it takes for that level of saucing.

I do have a 36" ish wok that i use for some larger things but this is huge.
That's why I scrounge ebay for old, mil surplus, heavy aluminum, Wearever pots. Got 'em all the way from 14 to 100qts.

·
Premium Member
2,573 Posts
I see a small section at the local kroger. but the canned vegetable area seems to get smaller every year in general. a lot of people are eating more fresh and frozen instead of canned for things other than beans /tomato
It appears the canned and dry goods sections of all grocery stores are getting smaller. I don't believe it's a conspiracy, that space in our stores has been taken by more prepared foods, and a take-out buffet section. It pisses us off because we're scratch cookers, but a lot of people now just want to open a box and throw it in the microwave. MSG

·
11,302 Posts
Save for a random emergency box of Mac and cheese for quick and easy we make most of our meals from scratch. Generally fresh veg. Though rarely make the pasta. Dried is good and super inexpensive.

I just prefer to cook the whole thing and not interested in a box of hamburger helper or frozen dinner kits

·
Premium Member
2,573 Posts
... Wait another 15 years when you'll only be able to drive autonomous cars on public roads and you won't be allowed to own them-you will lease them from the manufacturer because you can't be trusted to not monkey with the CPU or stay current with updates. The Fed's will know everywhere you went, every stop you made, and how long you were where...
It's all fun and games until the self-driving car locks the doors, and drops you off at a FEMA reeducation camp. :eek:

·
Registered
6,900 Posts
Rory is on to something. Believe it's ...'don't cook 'maters in BRASS or COPPER ware'. They produce copper sulfate,I believe. Anyway...it will make you very sick until you can empty your stomach...or bowels....LOL. Ask me how I know...!!

·
Premium Member
646 Posts
Those milsurp aluminum pots are so thick it would take 3 lifetimes for tomatoes to eat through them. I doubt the military cared what they cooked in them and heavy-duty commercial aluminum pots/pans are in use throughout the restaurant/food service industry. Besides, I hate cooked tomatoes, tomato sauce, ketchup, etc. When it comes to tomatoes, I only like fresh, ripe sliced on burgers/sandwiches and tomato juice.

21 - 40 of 45 Posts