1919 A4 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just read this FAQ question/answer in a new manufacturer's (to me) website. I didn't know this was true -- is it??

"Can I change my (model deleted revolver) barrel to a different size barrel?"

"No, because your (Xxxx) was registered to you with a certain barrel length and serial number. BATF maintains this information and it cannot be altered. If a barrel length is changed, then a new serial number and new registration must follow. This is a lengthy and costly procedure."

Thanks for any enlightenment!
Carry On!
Gary
><>

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
Not clear what weapon or circumstances the answer is directed towards.....Really need more info.
NFA registration is required if an owner wishes to make an NFA controlled short-barreled rifle or shotgun from a Title I weapon. A Title I revolver can have any length barrel desired under federal law.
Registratiion of revolvers in some states may require some sort of paperwork upgrade if the firearm is altered.
Answer needs a different question......

·
PhD in Over-Engineering
12,236 Posts
Agreed with Bob here. There is no federal registration of Title I gun purchases, though the 4473 is a record, it is not a registration per se. Unless a state or local registration form is in question here, where barrel length is specified as part of the record, I can't think of another situation where changing bbl length would matter on a revolver.

·
Registered
7,031 Posts
...key component...

As stated,THERE IS NO FEDERAL REGISTRATION OF TITLE 1 FIREARMS...PERIOD. You can change barrel lengths on any firearm. Many shotgun barrels are changable...18"-36" are common. Rifles from 16"-26". Handgun barrels cannot exceed 15" and rifle barrels cannot be less than 16". Shotgun barrels must be 18" and many states have a 26" minimum over-all length or it is considered a handgun with a pistol grip stock. There are many state-to-state variables....but stay focused on the federal issue. Some states register handguns as well as some cities. Again,no federal law allows registration of title 1 firearms. In Indiana,it is illegal to register any title 1 firearm. Even the police think guns are registered....they are not taught the gun laws. Most gun dealers are not familiar with these laws and give conflicting info.

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
As stated,THERE IS NO FEDERAL REGISTRATION OF TITLE 1 FIREARMS...PERIOD. You can change barrel lengths on any firearm. Many shotgun barrels are changable...18"-36" are common. Rifles from 16"-26". Handgun barrels cannot exceed 15" and rifle barrels cannot be less than 16". Shotgun barrels must be 18" and many states have a 26" minimum over-all length or it is considered a handgun with a pistol grip stock. There are many state-to-state variables....but stay focused on the federal issue. Some states register handguns as well as some cities. Again,no federal law allows registration of title 1 firearms. In Indiana,it is illegal to register any title 1 firearm. Even the police think guns are registered....they are not taught the gun laws. Most gun dealers are not familiar with these laws and give conflicting info.
All absolutely true. I have people who have recently moved to the state stop by or call wanting to register their firearms and I tell them it is impossible to do in a state that has no registration requirement. They seem to not believe what I am telling them. Far too many including law enforcement believe the 4473 is registration.

Locations requiring registration are very few.

·
Registered
7,837 Posts
L999here

...key component...

All absolutely true. I have people who have recently moved to the state stop by or call wanting to register their firearms and I tell them it is impossible to do in a state that has no registration requirement. They seem to not believe what I am telling them. Far too many including law enforcement believe the 4473 is registration.

Locations requiring registration are very few.
Plus +1 !!

Spot On - both of these guys......

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
I have never read that a handgun could not be longer than 15 inches . I don't recall ever seeing one , but where do you get a limit set ?
The Feds also rule that any rifle / shotgun must be over 26 inches OAL ( folding stocks extended if present ) .
Chris

·
Registered
7,031 Posts
Federal law says...

There is no federal regulation restricting a pistol or revolver barrel to 15" or under.
For 40+ yrs. I've been telling folks that the maximum handgun barrel length was 15",minimum rifle bbl was 16" and minimum shotgun bbl is 18". Look at the Thompson Contender bbls....14".

According to the BATFE reference guide (2005),page7,Sec. 921.29,paragraph a and b there is no mention of a specific barrel length. Section 30 and section 31 have been repealed...and apparently the designation of the maximum barrel length. However,any rifle with a buttstock and barrel shorter than 16" requires a stamp. Unless someone can find anything more specific,I'm forced to agree that the maximum handgun barrel length has been either eliminated or no longer applies. Anyone hear different...?

·
Registered
7,837 Posts
Now that I think about it, I have seen older "buntline" type pistols exceeding 15 inches. I'm sure there are other variations I'm not thinking of. So I guess tho not practical, a handgun barrel could conceivably be longer. Didn't even catch that reference in the original post about 15". Brain can't keep up with my eyes anymore. :eek:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts