1919 A4 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought a USGI Colt M16A1 upper for a retro build, and I now need a barrel and front sight. As of current, where can I get a correct (or at least correct looking) barrel with sight, to finish this build?

Also, besides NODAK, does anyone else sell a repro retro lower?

·
Premium Member
752 Posts
garrettbragg12--

NODAK Spud is probably the only one who does a exact copy of the M16A1 lower in semi auto only. A lot builders who cannot wait will mill down a M16A2 style lower and re-anodize to light gray, I would check out the retro forum on AR15.com. That's where a lot of the retro head true believers hang out. You will find them as helpful as the folks here. You will find the early retros as addictive as this forum. :rofl::rofl:

Cheers

fjruple

Web Link to AR15/M16 Retro Forum: https://www.ar15.com/forums/f_3/123_AR_15___M_16_Retro_Forum.html

·
Registered
787 Posts
I love my NODAK spud rec. I have built 2 using their receivers

Wally
garrettbragg12--

NODAK Spud is probably the only one who does a exact copy of the M16A1 lower in semi auto only. A lot builders who cannot wait will mill down a M16A2 style lower and re-anodize to light gray, I would check out the retro forum on AR15.com. That's where a lot of the retro head true believers hang out. You will find them as helpful as the folks here. You will find the early retros as addictive as this forum. :rofl::rofl:

Cheers

fjruple

·
Registered
164 Posts
I used a Green mountain barrel for my build but had to install the FSB. Brownells now has a retro barrel with the FSB installed. Nodak receivers are worth the wait, very nice fit and finish.

·
Premium Member
752 Posts
I don't want to be a shrill for NODAK spud. But they take great pride in the production of early style AR platforms receivers. There blemish receivers are better than some of the regular production lower by other companies.

--fjruple

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
I have a NoDak XM177 build that is friggin' sweet. Original colt furniture and bits on a matched kit. Its the later model with the grenade launcher ring behind the flash hider. J

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well I went ahead and ordered a barrel from AR15 sport. It's a 1/9 twist instead of a 1/12, but it's still a pencil 20" barrel with the FSB already installed. Plus my other AR is a 1/9 twist so that SHOULD make ammo easier to supply.

I ordered USGI Upper, upper parts, stock, handguard, lower parts kit. That should all be in soon.

Ordered a BCG from aim yesterday when they were all on sale.

Now I'm just trying to decide if I should suck it up and order a NODAK.

This build got a little more expensive than I was expecting, but oh well.

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
NoDak upper and lower.

E2 style with tapered delta ring and grenade launcher mount. Its a bit long but I really didn't want to eff with an sbr for this. J

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
You'll be happy with the AR15sports barrel. I'm no frazer42 (nice XM177 by the way)............but here are my monsters. Yes, I know it's a C7 upper, but I have friends and family that are left handed. :rofl: I may or may not eventually order NoDak's and swap out some parts to make them a little more "correct". In the meantime, they're pretty fun to shoot as is.

11.28.15_001.JPG 11.28.15_010.JPG

Matt

1 - 9 of 9 Posts