1919 A4 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Were/are all. 308 barrels chrome lined?

I know the WWII 30-06 barrels weren't lined and then post-war there were the Stellite lined barrels but we're any of those ever chromed? And looking at a barrel, is there a good way to determine if it's unlined, Stellite or chrome?

I have collected a number of barrels while waiting for my tax stamp and would love to know what I have now that it's time to shoot.

Thank you!

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
For chrome lined barrels, look at the muzzle, usually you can see some "splash over" plating on it or look for a "line" at the bevel of the muzzle where the bullet exits. A lot of times it's a practiced eye that's looked at 100's of barrels that can pick it out. Although, sometimes they chromed the entire front bearing surface as well and a blind man can see it. :eyecrazy:

For Stellite lined barrels, if it isn't stenciled on the side then look in the barrel past the chamber about 6-8 inches and you will see a line where the liner stops and the barrel rifling starts.

·
Premium Member
5,467 Posts
You can read a little something about barrels (& jackets) here

http://m1919tech.com/22934.html

I won't say all, but many Izzy barrels were chromed lined. USGI post war barrels had Stellite liners which are only about 5.5 inches long just ahead of the chamber there are two types the first or earlier D7162785 was produced from about 1-50 to 1-52 did not have a chrome lined bore or a chrome plated front bearing surface later,( 1-52) these features were present on drawing 7148399 Ordnance started chrome plating. The easiest way to ID a Stellite barrel is to look at the breech end if you see a circular seam and a dimple its Stellite the dimple is a staked pin that holds the retainer in place as it is screwed into the barrel tube. The retainer holds the Stellite insert in place. USGI barrels will have a drawing number "P" (for Proof) and the mfg, a flaming bomb and maybe a few production markings that we dont know the meanings of.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you! I can see the chrome lining line on all of my 308 barrels and of the 30-06 I have there is one Stellite and the rest are unlined.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts