1919 A4 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
December 16, 1944 the Battle of the Bulge began. Today is the 71st anniversary of that event. Honor those who were there, now living and RIP those now not.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Still looking for a pic from then of a Sherman on its roof/side, as would be probably the tank my grandfather was in, and sent him home in a body cast thanks to a panther tank.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
All those who serve and have served deserve or honor. I stand and salute them.

·
Registered
277 Posts
one of my friends passed last year

He was a sgt and tank commander in Patton's 6th armored. He was in the battle of the bulge when patton went through to support the troops that had held the line. He had 2 sherman tanks shot out from under him while commanding them. He was also in the group that came upon the concentration camp at buchenwald. He was Polish and he was assigned there to help with the Polish inmates. As a consequence later in life his eyes failed him do to disease that was airborne in the camps. A doctor that checked his eyes asked if he was in a camp during the war and he said yes The doctor said this was because of the month he spent there. He was a great guy and will be missed. his name was Joe Solarz he was from NY

·
Registered
960 Posts
December 16, 1944 the Battle of the Bulge began. Today is the 71st anniversary of that event. Honor those who were there, now living and RIP those now not.
+1 My Great Uncle Bud got a bronze star out of that one. Passed away some time ago. He was a character and a good guy. My favorite 'uncle bud' story was when he decided he could quick-draw faster than Matt Dillon on the TV.

Shot the TV. Forgot the six gun was loaded. Wuhps!!

·
Registered
2,869 Posts
+1 My Great Uncle Bud got a bronze star out of that one. Passed away some time ago. He was a character and a good guy. My favorite 'uncle bud' story was when he decided he could quick-draw faster than Matt Dillon on the TV.

BUT ....
did he beat 'ol Matt ?
Chris

·
Premium Member
6,044 Posts

Now that's funny :rofl: He sounds like my uncle Jim who did one too many tours in Nam, he was a Marine sniper and absolutely crazy but a character and a great guy.

·
Registered
7,836 Posts
I always found it interesting that even though our childhood cowboy heroes were notably quick on the draw and always out drew the fastest hombres that came after them, Matt Dillon never won the draw in the opening scene of the show. As a kid I spent hours practicing with my Fanner 50 six shooter up against Marshall Dillon. I was pretty good at dying from a bullet right there in the living room. :D

My other favorite was rolling up an old OD blanket [dad brought home many of them from Korea] tying it to my back with rope shoulder straps, and waiting for Sea Hunt [with Lloyd Bridges] to come on so I could swim with him under water [at least in my mind we were both under water]. I even wore flippers and a play knife on a belt. Oh - and face mask too - we were avid swimmers in our family and snorkeled a lot at local lakes......

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
My wife's uncle was at the Battle of the Bulge. He was a member of the 506th regiment of the 101st airborne. That was the regiment depicted in the TV series Band of Brothers. The series focused on E Company and was not entirely correct.. Don was the commander of another company. I believe he told me it was C Company but the death notice in the paper said it was H company. I never got to talk to him much about it. He did say he punched out a soldier one time. It was one of Patton's soldiers who came to "rescue" the 101st at Bastogne and the guy was trigger happy and shot one of Dons soldiers by mistake. I don't recall if Don said his soldier was killed. He complained about the movie because it made it appear that E company did everything. He was especially critical of the depiction of E Company occupying Hitler's Eagle Nest at the end of the war. Don said he knew it was not E company because he was the commander of the company that actually did it and he had souvenirs to proof it. Including napkins and silverware and even the stopper from Hitlers bath tub. He had sold most of the artifacts by the time I met him in his house in Texas several years ago but he showed me his Army overcoats and said "that coat saved my life at Bastogne"

Unfortunately Don died last spring and was buried at Arlington.

·
Registered
4,866 Posts
My MP44 came from a veteran friend whom liberated it in Bastogne in '44. He didn't say whether he killed a German to get it, or won it in a card game.
Come to think of it I don't believe "Robert" played much cards. :D
Mr. Robert Hughes passed away many years ago but will always be in my memories.
CaptMax

1 - 13 of 13 Posts