1919 A4 Forums banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
3,279 Posts
This is in a museum in Munich
The LMG08s are pretty rare, having been pretty quickly replace by LMG08/15s. I have only seen one in person at the Smithsonian in DC. Its still got some of the mud in it from where it plowed into the ground after being shot down. It was pretty cool.

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 · (Edited)
Its interesting what he is saying. It sounds like its was registered like a Dewat but then cut further. However we can see no signs of cuts except on the front top cover. Of course the internals could be cut but thats of minor difference. The sideplate does not seem cut. My favorite is "The Iowa ATF has stated they have no further interest in this firearm- no ATF permit is required to purchase or own this historical one of a kind firearm" Thats great until you leave Iowa and the next ATF agent arrests you...

Snoopy has a pair of these, no Vickers:
He said in the auction "In 2017 the receiver and internal firing mechanisms were cut in 3 places to further demilitarize the firearm".
If you look again you will see that the gun has been cut in multiple places through the top covers, trunnion, and receiver and has been welded together. Even the charging handle has cuts and welds on it. Makes an IMA display gun look like a piece of art. Probably only useable part is the back plate.

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
I think the 11mm brass and disintegrating link belts are worth more than the Vickers parts kit. What a travesty.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Ballon guns are junk. Most converted to WC and not worth 10k. Would take 8k to get it fixed up enough to sell in mg friendly state. Did not know Iowa was not NFA friendly. In fact I sorta doubt everything the seller states.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Makes no sense to cut up a registered DEWAT (especially like was apparently done), and just a few years ago, at that.
Am I reading his material correctly?

·
Registered
739 Posts
Ballon guns are junk. Most converted to WC and not worth 10k. Would take 8k to get it fixed up enough to sell in mg friendly state. Did not know Iowa was not NFA friendly. In fact I sorta doubt everything the seller states.
You don’t buy a colt balloon gun to collect: you buy it to strip off the side plate for another build, or so I’ve seen over the last few decades. That plate could be repaired without too much work, provided that it’s papered.

·
Premium Member
1,182 Posts
You don’t buy a colt balloon gun to collect: you buy it to strip off the side plate for another build, or so I’ve seen over the last few decades
Ballon guns are junk. Most converted to WC and not worth 10k.
Oh man. You guys need to spend some time with a balloon Gun.
I shoot my Balloon gun more than my ground gun.
No water to deal with
No packing to deal with
Accepts all caliber conversions
If you aim and burst fire 7-10 rounds you can shoot them all day.
I have done 50 round bursts with no damage.
I shoot thousands of rounds through my balloon gun
at the Big Sandy twice a year.
I’ve never melted a barrel.
Nothing ever breaks.
It performs just like you would expect a C&R Colt Machinegun from the original factory to perform.
No, you cannot do belt dumps with it, but I don’t do that with any of my guns anyway.

·
12,310 Posts
No, you cannot do belt dumps with it, but I don’t do that with any of my guns anyway.
sure you can. It just needs a lot of extra time to cool off and knowing that you’re likely ruining the cheap 303 barrel that you reamed to 54r. Or at least that what I’ve heard. I’d never run a water gun without water........ 😂😂😂😂😂

21 - 32 of 32 Posts