1919 A4 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Which belt holding pawl works best with 8mm, 30/06 or 308, and has anyone had to grind down the bottom of the 8mm left front cartrige guide, to make it feed better. The reason I ask is, my gun won't feed belts, or links without the trunnion protector installed. Something is a little out of alignment.

·
6,504 Posts
I assume by belt holding pawl you are referring to the pawl in the lsp held in place by the long pin and not the belt feed pawl located in the top cover. The wide 308 holding pawl works with all three calibers and if you have an Izzy kit that's what is there...the narrow 30-06 holdng pawl only functions correctly in the narrow slot in a 30-06 lsp...too loose in a 308 slot.

You shouln't have a cartridge guide with 8mm so remove it...unless you're talking about the 8mm cartridge stop. Some 8mm stops are too thick for some 8mm ammo so, yes, you have to grind a tad off the face. Lay a 8mm round on the feed tray and if the nose of the cartridge hits the front stop then grind some off (the stop not the cartridge :)) until you have about 1/16" to 3/32" of clearance.

Sorry, can't help on the feed problem without a more detailed description of what it's doing; ie bolt not closing, rounds cocked sideways, rounds banging into side of bolt, rounds not extracting from belt, etc.

Pic from the converting tutorial on the home page showing the Izzy belt holding pawl.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, I was refering to the cartrige stop. I have the 308 stop with the milled away part for for the 8mm extra length. It was very hard to tell whiy it would't feed, but it fed fine with the trunnion proctector installed. I thought the trunnion might be too low, or the bottom portion that was left, when the stop was milled out, might be too thick, causing the rounds to sit too high in front to be extracted. Also the bolt sits a little foreward of the rear guide if it is installed, but it still didn't feed when removed. It feeds with the rear guide and trunnion protector installed.

·
6,504 Posts
I have one 308 converted stop that is too thick and caused my 8mm rounds to not feed. If you're jamming rounds remove the rear guide for 8mm...don't use the 308 guide with 8mm. If you have to use it then something else is not correct. Check a round on the feed tray per my previous post...place it under the extractor arm directly in front of the T slot and see if it's jamming.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It doesn't jam, there is plenty of clerance front to back, but the round looks high in the front, like the stop is too thick up and down where the bullet lays, slightly uphill in the front, making the rear look low.

·
6,504 Posts
Duh, now I understand. Even though the cartridge casing is tapered, the side facing down should lay flat on the feed tray. If it's elevated at the nose then the extractor won't grab it right. You need to do what you mentioned earlier (sorry for being so dense) and thin the inside bottom part of the front cart stop until the round does not touch the stop at all. The round should not be laying on the stop or touching it anywhere with the round seated back against the bolt...there should be a gap in front of the slug and beneath the slug. The round should only touch the stop during cycling when the bolt nudges it forwards and the extractor grabs it.

You notice on a stock 308 stop and at the front of the trunion for 30-06 there is no bottom lip so most of that should be removed for 8mm to where the lip has no contact at all...just like the stock stops.

Also, that answers why it runs better with a trunion protector. The protector acts as a shim and lifts up the rear of the cartridge so the round is more flat, in relation to the nose, and the extractor can then pick it up.

I think you found your trouble.

That's one for the books if it solves your problem...please let us know.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts