1919 A4 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7,031 Posts
...correct...

This one looks to be almost 'new'. The feed wheels are sharp and clean and the box looks like it was never issued. Looks like all the parts are there and the box is from a later issue...maybe late 1945...? There were at least 3-different box types made for the US and 1-box for Canada.

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
I don't think I've seen a Reserve on an eBay auction in quite some time. Gunbroker all the time...

That being said: shall we over/under this one? My guess is $1500.00 :( Wish I got into beltfeds a decade ago.

EDIT: I don't want to divert this thread but does anyone make reproductions of those locking latches? It looks like they tighten/loosen with a wing nut and then flip forward on a pivot point in the front of the box. Those are neat!

·
Registered
4,704 Posts
Those are really quite simple. Easy to make with some eye bolts and a couple wing nuts.Cutting the pocket for the cross pivot pin (A 16 p nail cut to size, or drill rod.) will be the hardest part. Router or chisels. Look in your local hardware store. Bet you find something quick. :)

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
This one looks to be almost 'new'. The feed wheels are sharp and clean and the box looks like it was never issued. Looks like all the parts are there and the box is from a later issue...maybe late 1945...? There were at least 3-different box types made for the US and 1-box for Canada.
Do you have any of yours left yet to sell Len? I have a friend in the market. Kevin in WI

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
Those are really quite simple. Easy to make with some eye bolts and a couple wing nuts.Cutting the pocket for the cross pivot pin (A 16 p nail cut to size, or drill rod.) will be the hardest part. Router or chisels. Look in your local hardware store. Bet you find something quick. :)
Huh. Well... now that I look at it you're right. Good suggestion! Thanks!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Does a difference in chest markings of D35395 vs. 2-C-2680 imply a difference in fillers themselves? Otherwise identical chests, with ordnance bombs.

·
Premium Member
5,467 Posts
Does a difference in chest markings of D35395 vs. 2-C-2680 imply a difference in fillers themselves? Otherwise identical chests, with ordnance bombs.

The drawing numbers on the chest refer to the chest not the belt loader. The 2-C-2680 is likely an early designation before the drawings were given a letter prefix. Keep in mind that the belt loader and chest are WWI era and had Class and Division drawing numbers. The Gatekeeper might be able to sort this out. D35395 by sequence would date from early 1938.

·
Registered
7,031 Posts
...still available...

Yep...still have a few left. And I make repo carry chests (wood box). Look in he 'belt-loader' forum,as several post are there on my 1918 Browning belt loaders...parts and prices are on sticky's at the top of the page.

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
I believe the number 2-C-2680 is actually a "stock number' The stock number seldom appears on an item from that era usually just the drawing number which would later evolve into the "part number".. The letter in the number is a direct reference to the item "C" for chest. Other stock numbers:

Mitten Shell: 73-M-3620
Cup Canteen: 74-C-314
Pouch first aid: 74-P-260
Bag Duffel: 74-B-54-55
Snow shoes: 74-S-310

I believe the first number is the class of property. In other words 74 field gear for the soldier, 73 field clothing, 55 uniform clothing items and so on

·
Registered
194 Posts
Drawings for Packing Chest for Belt Filling Machine

Sorry I'm a little late to the game. I do have drawing D35395. I also have it's "original" designation, D1264 (see bottom of the drawing).

Here is D35395, dated March 1, 1937.

Can I just say that I love that the "Note" states that it should have "one coat of princess metallic paint". Am I the only one humming "I feel pretty" when I see that? Maybe it is just because I'm a girl....moving on.:eek:

The earlier drawing, D1264 is dated Feb 5, 1924. Revision number one of this drawing is dated....you guessed it, March 1, 1937.

The other drawings that are mentioned in this thread look a little different from the ones I usually see. That being said, I believe the other drawings are from the Quartermaster Corps. I have run across a few of those and they tend to be numbered similar.

Regards,
Gatekeeper

·
Premium Member
5,467 Posts
That same note is on the packing case for two M1919's.. I pondered this for some time and arrived at this answer. Miscommunication, i.e. "princess" is really Prince's Metallic Paint. The Prince Paint Co. of Boston MA went under during the depression. In 1934 the Drafting Room Regulations forward included a prohibition against using trade names like Parkerizing but this didn't seep down to the individual Ordnance Organizations till some time in the '40's if ever..

Now it is possible that I am "full of sour owl ****" (one of my old time boss's favorite expressions ,they were a VERY colorful and very politically incorrect bunch) but that's my take.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts