1919 A4 Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's a good belt loader to use with an MG08 or MG08/15 in current 8mm? What about the belts themselves? (Current production 8mm may be a tad too long for original chutes, so I'm told.)

Same questions for Vickers in current .303?

I've read that one can modify the MG08 or 08/15 feed block to use MG34/42 metal belts. What's involved? Not gonna do it unless I can get a sacrificial feed block, of course. (I've got an mg34/42 belt loader.)

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
For belts in all the above I like to use British tabbed cloth Vickers belts. 8mm ammo stretches out the belt pockets and they aren't much use in .303 any longer. I use a belt loader made by Bill Guiette. It has a removable belt plate and I can use the same loader for other belt/ammo combinations. I keep my .303 belts segregated from the 8mm belts so I don't stretch them out.

http://www.weguiette.com/home.html

I have also had very good results using Turkish aluminum 8mm Maxim belts sold by IMA. You can load them by hand, but I use my Guiette loader to avoid sliced fingers.

http://www.ima-usa.com/

You're going to need to get Dolf's Devil's Paintbrush to see what's involved in altering an MG08 feed block.

·
Registered
3,350 Posts
What's a good belt loader to use with an MG08 or MG08/15 in current 8mm? What about the belts themselves? (Current production 8mm may be a tad too long for original chutes, so I'm told.)

Same questions for Vickers in current .303?

I've read that one can modify the MG08 or 08/15 feed block to use MG34/42 metal belts. What's involved? Not gonna do it unless I can get a sacrificial feed block, of course. (I've got an mg34/42 belt loader.)
If you are running cloth belts, the only loader is the German Gurtfuller. I have one you can use when we shoot but its a PITA. I have always used Vickers tabbed belts. WWII production are ideal. They seem fairly cheap right now. German WWI run about $300 a belt and are a few decades older and much much harder to find. The Vickers belts without divider tabs will not work. I am not talking about the starting tabs, I mean the tabs between every couple of rounds. You also have to be very careful buying a Gurtfuller as a lot are IMA Turk conversions that no longer work on cloth belts. There are some aftermarket loaders but they are usually less than ideal.

Or you can try the IMA AL belts that you can fill by hand. Sometimes they work, sometimes they don't. I also have a Schwarzlose belt you can try. They are expensive but nice.

I still think the best option is just to switch to 7.62x54r right from the beginning! I have the feedblock. Bob can do the work for you and its just the better cheaper way of shooting. You can use my stuff to prove the gun is running in 8mm but rather than buy it all, just switch over to the cheaper caliber rather than dumbing lots into the cloth belt loaders and belts.

I have the German mod feedblock. They are super rare and not an easy conversion. They work ok but they are not easy to get. If you really want to go that way, I can help you find one.

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
The 54R conversion for the Vickers is straightforward and you can use cheap PKM belts. Right now this is a very good Vickers option as ammo is relatively cheap.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts