1919 A4 Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a real nice one of these. Donna got us involved with setting up a public historic display..........I took some WW 1 guns & some WW 2 guns.

To be real truthful, I hadnt moved this gun in way more than a few years. I am kinda wondering about the bipods seeming lack of a centering point. No matter what I do, the gun moves with no resistance forward or backward an equal amount, stopping at about 15degrees of angle. Kinda of a useless angle........ The monopod at the rear is loosy goosey too but using the combination of the two, particularly in somewhat soft dirt would tend to stabilize things.

Anyone else have one to these so as to make a bipod comparison??? Or know if this is status quo for these???

PJH

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
That's the way they function. When these guns were being used by the Army, they attached a piece of cord from the bottom of one leg back through the trigger guard and then forward to the bottom of the opposite leg and adjusted the length to keep the bipod angled a bit towards the gunner. Triangulated the bipod and stabilized it to a reasonable degree. Then it won't fall backward on the shooter.......

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hmmmmmmmmmm

Okay...........how about that for design/engineering/execution???? No wonder old man Crosier didnt like innovation.

I have a Sweedish BAR, bipod folds forward by design, one would have thought by this time they would have learned. Would be difficult to reverse it as part of the mounting is milled into the gas tube. Early on, it has unexpectedly folded, dropping the muzzle into the dirt or table, kinda surprising the shooter. A heavy shoe string through the trigger guard to each leg cured that.....Benet/Mercie all over again.......

PJH

·
Registered
288 Posts
Okay...........how about that for design/engineering/execution???? No wonder old man Crosier didnt like innovation.

I have a Sweedish BAR, bipod folds forward by design, one would have thought by this time they would have learned. Would be difficult to reverse it as part of the mounting is milled into the gas tube. Early on, it has unexpectedly folded, dropping the muzzle into the dirt or table, kinda surprising the shooter. A heavy shoe string through the trigger guard to each leg cured that.....Benet/Mercie all over again.......

PJH
Heck, that was the method I used on my Swedish kg m/37 BAR for the first time and quickly cured it by buying a spare bipod. I got a spare bipod and had it welded in the open position and the spikes ground off and its great for shooting off hard surfaces. I just swap it out once I get to the range which is a bit easier on the Kg m/37 than the m/21. You can see it in this picture.

If you get the action cover/snow shoe, it holds the bipod open as well as can be seen in this picture. (unmodified bipod in this picture)

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
Heck, that was the method I used on my Swedish kg m/37 BAR for the first time and quickly cured it by buying a spare bipod. I got a spare bipod and had it welded in the open position and the spikes ground off and its great for shooting off hard surfaces. I just swap it out once I get to the range which is a bit easier on the Kg m/37 than the m/21. You can see it in this picture.

If you get the action cover/snow shoe, it holds the bipod open as well as can be seen in this picture. (unmodified bipod in this picture)
Very nice Sam. I was trying to see it firing in one of your videos, but the site seems to be gone. Inquiring minds need to know.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts