1919 A4 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
847 Posts
I really don't know of anybody that are making new ones. You will see some come up for sale in the For Sale section. I got this set about 12 years ago for my son's RAMO 1919a4. But I know he doesn't want to sell them.

Spade_Grips_3.jpg

·
Registered
4,881 Posts
OOW always had nice ones that they made, may want to check theirs out.
CaptMax

·
Registered
481 Posts
Another option would be to check with amish-bob here on the board. He runs the parts dept. at Ordnance Research, and they mfg. an excellent set of drop in spades.

·
PhD in Over-Engineering
12,236 Posts
+1 on the OR spades that amish-bob can help you with. But I will say the OOW ones are also quite nice. They are very similar in design and construction. I usually keep a set of the OR spades in my inventory.

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
Thanks guys! We do have spades on hand, ready to ship. I think our web sight is still under reconstruction so your best bet might be to call 717-738-6941 Mon thru Thurs 8 to 4 Eastern time.

Thanks
Rob

·
Registered
4,881 Posts
+1 for AmishBobs spade grips, I totally forgot he had them for sale.
Shame on me. :eek:
CaptMax

·
Registered
24 Posts
Putting on spades

Are these a direct replacement for the handle/trigger? Does changing this impact the timing or other?

FNG so go easy please.

·
BeltFed GURU
4,395 Posts
Airwoofer,
They are for the most part "Drop In" .They use the original trigger bar unmodified so it will have no effect on timing
at all . The push pad linkage is constructed so it has a pin that is removable ,that is inserted Under the trigger after the spades are dropped on . Under the trigger there is usually a roller/spacer that the cross pin passes thru to complete the linkage , this is the "adjustable " part , if you have too much free play you increase the dia. of the spacer to remove the free play .
I own a set of TNW spades and a set of the ORF spades ,the ORF have a plastic spacer with an eccentric pivot point so you install then roll the spacer until it is in contact with the trigger and pin in place :D Now the ORF spades are well constructed but were the cheapest on the market at the time .
With OR spades they are much better quality and you most likely have to make No adjustments to at all to the spacer ,pull pin and spacer drop on and re install spacer and pin and Rock and Roll :buttrock: .

There are rocker action style (the pictured BMGparts),and draw up type action spades , as rocker action they use the curve of the trigger to actuate it so they will have some free play and you should have some for safety sake !! but pushed all the way in they should actuate the trigger every time .
Draw up type still need some free play also but they pull up on the trigger and are not dependent on the curve in the trigger to actuate .
Both work as advertised so type does not matter but draw up`s are generally more expensive ,it is a matter of personal preference and $$$.

·
Registered
219 Posts
I too am using the TNW spade grips and they work well, however, I did add two extra return springs since the trigger spring alone wasn't sufficient IMHO.

·
PhD in Over-Engineering
12,236 Posts
Let me just add, to Belf Fed Frog's excellent commentary, that every gun is a bit different than the last. Some will need a bit of adjusting to get the fit and travel with the trigger bar just right. I've encountered this with TNW as well as the Ordnance Research spades. Hopefully the set you choose will drop right on, but be prepared to have a little tweaking to do.

Many years ago, Nosegunner produced a tutorial for building spades, which included a diagram for modifying the trigger bar to fit some sets. I recall having to do this for my TNW set with an early KMP trigger. Found it!

Look at the image here: http://www.browningmgs.com/Spades/05_TripLever.htm

The KMP trigger has changed since then, going to full USGI width, etc, and I have not encountered this issue like I did ten years ago. But the information is worth sharing, and hat's off to Nosegunner for keeping his fine site as a resource for us all.

·
BeltFed GURU
4,395 Posts
Lucky ,
That is why i Like my ORF`s Todd (RIP) made a good set yes they were cheap (relatively) but the eccentric spacer makes adjusting the trigger Unnecessary just pivot and drill or hot paper clip a new hole in the plastic and pin Done and tuned :tongue:

A strip of alum tape wrapped around the spacer is a fast adjustment ,oh it will wear out but is easy to replace !! Works for both rocker and draw type :tongue: .Any type of tape will work ...

·
PhD in Over-Engineering
12,236 Posts
I like the eccentric spacer idea. Of course, I would! I am already eccentric and spaced out.... :confused:

·
BeltFed GURU
4,395 Posts
I can attest to that :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl: But anyone Da Macaw respects and likes is a Good person beyond any shadow of Doubt :D !!!!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts