1919 A4 Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5,129 Posts
They really like being scratched under the chin and their chests, you could have made freinds with the nice puppy.

·
Registered
7,252 Posts
...really...?

Have not seen a black bear since a trip thru thru the Smokies. There has not been a bear in IN since the 1830's...except in a museum..stuffed...or a zoo.

·
BeltFed GURU
4,433 Posts
Living in a swamp they are not that rare a visitor for me But they can not scent fear on me so my 3 night time encounters they have let me know they were there and left me alone .

The Evil Macaw notched one right in the nose about 10 years ago , You Do Not Mess with the Big Green and Blue Mother or you pay a piece :eek: !!(and no misspelling )

In the last year there were a number of attacks in the Burbs ,no one killed !! The population is growing here !

·
Registered
7,893 Posts
That's a beautiful thing. :D

We see em' quite a bit up at our place in north central WI. Kinda serves as our hunting land/summer get away shooting range picnic area... :)

·
Registered
6,355 Posts
Len, don't be so sure!

Newton/Jasper and Jackson counties in Indiana have reported black bear sighting, as recently as 2013:

Bob Haskin said he was excited when he made a call to the Indiana DNR on April 20, 2013 to report his sighting of a black bear in Northwest Indiana.The person taking the call wasn't as excited, according to Haskin." He said, "There are no black bears in Indiana." I told him that I know a black bear when I see one and that it definitely was a black bear," Haskin said in a recent phone interview. But the DNR listener insisted again, He said, "There are no black bears living in Indiana." I said, "Well then, I saw one vacationing in Indiana." I don't think he appreciated that very much, Haskin chuckled. Haskin, who lives near Winter Haven, Fla., said he was driving north on I-65, south of the Roselawn exit, when he first saw the bear at the 220-mile marker on that sunny Friday afternoon." It was 1:05 p.m. and it came from the west and was headed east. It didn't seem like it was scared or was running from something," he said. "It was just galloping across the northbound lane. It looked over its right shoulder and kept the same cadence and speed." Haskin estimated the bear's weight at between 200 and 250 pounds. He said he is certain other travelers saw what he saw because some vehicles slowed and pulled slightly off the road.

Haskin wished the DNR had taken him seriously, he said, because once the bear crossed the interstate, it went into a plowed field and would have left tell-tale paw prints. "It really doesn't matter to me; I'm concerned that kids may be out playing in the woods, or someone could be hunting (and be confronted)," he said. On Feb. 19, a man wanted to know if there were black bears in Indiana. Just prior to that date a Jackson County (south-central Indiana) resident insisted he saw a black bear on his property. Bloom said a man had a video of a black bear in his backyard near Muscatatuck National Refuge in Jackson County, and said that how the bear got to Jackson County and where it went after the sighting is unknown. DNR spokesman Phil Bloom said conservation officers had indeed confirmed a black bear report in 2009.

Carry On!
Gary
><>

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
We havea lot of bears on our land in WI. Had a mother and cub last night at the house, dogs were inside and barking - cub went up the hickory tree while Mom tried the bird seed in the feeder. Bear Terrestrial animal Wildlife Woodland Tree Mammal Wildlife Terrestrial animal Nature reserve Biome

We have some deer too Reindeer Deer Wildlife Elk Antler Mammal Wildlife Deer Reindeer Terrestrial animal

·
Registered
4,704 Posts
If that stray mutt gets out of line, just roll up a newspaper and swat him on the nose with it. Works most of the time.:confused::tongue:

·
Premium Member
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I've had buffalo,coyotes, deer, foxes, bobcats,beaver and now a bear in my yard and I'm not out in the sticks.
It walked right by my chickens and couldn't care less.
My beagle will take on the bobcats and the coyotes but just looked at the bear and growled with a look on its face like WTF is that.

·
Registered
6,355 Posts
MG08 SEZ: ".... dogs were inside and barking ...."

And I noticed in all the pictures of the bears, they were walking away from you! :wavey:

Carry On!
Gary
Gary

·
Registered
7,893 Posts
Just saw on the morning news some hikers/runners were chased by a black bear - the gal said she was chased about two miles through the woods. :eek:

I thing it was one of the eastern states. Said they put the bear down.

We have chased bear for over a mile while doing deer drives, and they never turned back around on us. No matter - we were all well armed. :D

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
the sow in the yard ran off when I went out to yell at it, since they hammer the bird feeder. Was not until I was out there that I saw the cub in the tree. Sow only went about 30 yds then stood there looking at me. I had a USP 40 with light and Laser, So was not really under armed. Would not shoot unless I had too. Just went back inside. One of the neighbors puts out corn and the bears here are used to people but do not like dogs. The Two 80-90 lb Labs do NOT like the bears. Once I got the dogs quieted down, to cub climbed down and the took off. At our hunting property, We have a LOT of bears, and some really big ones. Gilbert, our big male bear, is well past 600 lbs according to the DNR experts who review our trail cam photos. HAd a 600lb sow hit on the road by us a couple years back, DNR brought it over to share. The "wild" bears run fairly quickly from us. We see them on the trail cams, and while bow hunting early season a lot from stands. By Rifle season they are hibernating. Lots of other critters too. Boar Wildlife Suidae Terrestrial animal Peccary Photography Wildlife Wildlife Snow Felidae Winter Tree

·
Registered
6,355 Posts
Nice little house-cat. "A little ***** never hurt anyone!"

Carry On!
Gary
><>

1 - 17 of 17 Posts