1919 A4 Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone ever got a kit for the old black powder rifles or pistols?
How hard are they,name of some nice companies that make them?
I know nothing of them,
Thanks for any help!!

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
i built one a long time ago.. it was harder to build that I thought it was going to be at the time because the wood was hard and the screws we flat bladed type.. I recall I didn't pre drill and hit a few snags...along the way.. I cold blued the barrel and it came out good.. I still have it is a 54 cal

·
Premium Member
2,712 Posts
I built a TC Hawkins about 20 years ago. Assembly was easy, the biggest question was how good you want it to look. Mine looks great, which means I spent many hours hand sanding the walnut stock, and polishing the brass trigger guard and octagonal barrel. One of my AD's cobbed together a CVA kit after dinner one night, and shot a dear with it the next day. They're as easy or hard as you want them to be. MSG

·
Registered
7,893 Posts
I've built a couple of rifles - one .50 and one .54 - both Hawken type rifles. You can form the wood quickly with a belt sander, or take your time and hand sand it as mentioned. Metal finishing is personal preference I guess. I did one in brown and one in blue. Changed the sights from packaged ones to custom period correct instead of modern hunting, and did some scroll work and in-letting on the metal and wood - again personal preference.

So as you can see - and as previously mentioned, they are easy to build, but can be elaborate if desired, and a lot more work goes into it then. Your choice. They do shoot pretty well. I shoot patched round balls in the .50, and both round and conical in the .54.

·
Registered
31 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for everyone's input been looking at some inexpensive pistol kits to try my hand at it!
Pictures of wo k in progress when it begins!!!!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts