1919 A4 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I used to have Global out of Houston Texas do my Black(not dark gray) parkerizing. Now he dark gray parkerizes not black. I know alot of people are painting but it seems that no one Black parkerizes. Is anyone doing good work and black parkerizing. Thanks

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
I don't know who does it but try to find someone who does manganese phosphate rather than zinc phosphate. Manganese is what the military now uses and it is usually black. I have done my own parkerizing for years useing the zinc phosphate and it sometimes comes out gray sometimes black. I don't know why.

·
Registered
6,355 Posts
You should have been at the NoVa Tupperware Party and seen what we turned out. We used Brownell's manganese phosphate and I've NEVER seen a more beautiful BLACK-BLACK finish EVER. I think maybe even "the" guru of 1919's may switch -- to this product, that is!

·
Registered
15 Posts
my question is how to get the green color

I have severl milarty rifles and handguns that have a unquestionable green finish

someone told me the green was caused by the cosmolen thay were pack in but one rifle I know FOR SURE was never packed in cosmolen

·
PhD in Over-Engineering
12,161 Posts
I think the Guru uses the Allegheny Arsenal stuff like I do. I have been getting a nice dark gray. I have half a mind to try another solution some time, but it's work enough to run one set up as it is! The variety would be interesting though. I am more inclined to go to the lighter shades for a change.

·
Registered
7,791 Posts
It's funny how people's taste's change or their quest for change never stops. I did my first 4 1919's in Manganese Phosphate and got a very nice flat black finish. I thought it looked great compared to all the other grey builds that were showing up everywhere. Recently when I finished my M3HB build I had the urge for a military grey finish and used the "parker" colored gun-kote paint from Lauer's (sp?) It perfectly matched the barrel and barrel support, and....It looks great!

What will the next one be?????? :)

·
Registered
219 Posts
jarhead said:
my question is how to get the green color

I have severl milarty rifles and handguns that have a unquestionable green finish

someone told me the green was caused by the cosmolen thay were pack in but one rifle I know FOR SURE was never packed in cosmolen
Some one here said that they used thompsons bore butter on their zinc right after parking and it turned it green. It probably has a pretty close formula to what may have been used in cosmoline back then. The post is in the archives.

·
PhD in Over-Engineering
12,161 Posts
acmech said:
Some one here said that they used thompsons bore butter on their zinc right after parking and it turned it green. It probably has a pretty close formula to what may have been used in cosmoline back then. The post is in the archives.
I read that and tried it on a trunnion with the AA solution. Didn't turn green in the two weeks I left it thick with butter. Maybe it works with a zinc phosphate. Then again, someone suggested to me to dissolve a few pennies in the solution. Have not tried that one.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
This is a post from the old forum:
shots
Rangemaster posted 02-04-2006 08:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for shots Click Here to Email shots Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote I received this from a member today and thought it pertinent to this discussion:
----------------------
i have been parkerizing since 1976 , i am currently serving in iraq as a cillivian. i have the book the army made during the forties how to parkerize. i know the seceret and have been doing it for years. some of you have almost hit on it it but not quite. i guess it's time to pass it on. yes they used zink in the old days but it dosen't matter which one you use. the trick is time and storage. after you park a large number of guns they warn you as the soultion gets worn the parts may turn the parts a little green but they say it's ok. so if you use the "old red cosmo." which some people call brown on a heated part it will turn from red to green (od green) let it sit for a week as in storage walla you got it! you got the same as they did it back in the forties when i was a kid. .how hot? hot enough to burn your finger but not enough to damage the steel. they threw it in a vat of hot cosmo then hot air baked it on on a hanging hook system and shipped it to the troops. there you have it . my best to all of you. the trick is not motor oil or grease but rather redish cosomo. no the brownells dosen't work the same. this finish can not be told from the original because it is the original.
------------
Thanks Harald!

·
Registered
6,355 Posts
Brownell's instructions, (four pages, tiny print, downloadable from their website or they'll send it free -- just call 'em with questions or orders for the printout) covers anything you'll ever want to know about parking -- including the bit about cosmoline for the green. Just get the Red cosmoline. Also, if one's a "part-time, small-time 'gunsmith,'" they'll send their (over an inch thick) catalogue and wave the normal $5 charge! Great company -- all the guy's over there at the pass just inside Pakistan order their hand tools there!

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
If you want to use my home made Park juice and get black instead of grey just substitute the black stuff inside an Alkiline battery ( the powdery stuff, not the carbon core)for the 4 pennies.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Black Parkerizing

Hey Luke,
My brother uses a black oxide solution to "parkerize" carb bases....works great.
don't know how it would look on a 1919...
Caswell Inc. is the company that sells the soup...google Caswell and it will
show you the kit that they sell. would need a good size batch to do the 1919.
Let me know what you thing about the Caswell stuff. If you want I can send you a picture of the carb base.
Russ

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
(Craftguard - Warterloo IA) They always have an add in SGN. They have been doing my refinishing for about 20 years and I have never had a problem with them. They do black and green, also other colors and finishes.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Luke,
I don't know if this will help, I bead blasted a bolt action rifle and then had it dropped in the blue tank. It came out looking like black park. I will try the same on my a4. LOL

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
weasel said:
Luke,
I don't know if this will help, I bead blasted a bolt action rifle and then had it dropped in the blue tank. It came out looking like black park. I will try the same on my a4. LOL

Let me pass on a tip: If you hot blue a 1919 all the cast parts (bottom and top plate, trunnion, Etc.) come out of the the tank a real ugly redish purple.

I spent all last winter putting a mirror polish on my 8mm shortie whiuch is wearing a crappy coat of cold blue at present. Brownells sells an additive for use on items like the cast Win 94 recievers that is supposed to stop this. Its around $100, though.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts