1919 A4 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In my quest to assemble my build I have sat down and fondled--Um-O- I mean studied the workings of my kit and would like to a little history of one part that seems to have more variants than any other part:confused: -The Booster.-The 1st one is a 2 piece Izzy but I'm sure the USA had this version too and the others are 30-06 models But I want to know when these styles came in and why so many and what models were they fielded on.

·
Premium Member
6,504 Posts
We have several super Browning historians on this site that may chime in...I'm not one of them.

·
PhD in Over-Engineering
12,152 Posts
Not enough of an expert to give you dates, but here's a start. The first one is the standard A4 style that is most common in my experience. Some time in the 30s is when this came into being, along with the adoption of the A4.

The middle one is 50s vintage and is specific to the M37 tank gun. It is rare and I am in need of one, hint hint!

The one piece on the right came late in WWII I believe. I know that Saginaw produced that style as I have seen them so marked, but never saw pics from WWII with that style mounted. I assume they must have been made during the war as Saginaw production ceased along with the other mfgs at the war's end. While RIA produced A6s and M37s in the 50s, no more A4s were made after WWII, as far as I am aware.

Of course, this is only to the best of my knowledge. I don't know everything, despite the appearance I create around here that I THINK I do! ;)

Any other input, backing me up or gainsaying me is welcome!

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey lucky
But I'm sorry to say that booster stays with my kit, My friend all ready threatened me if I were to trade/sell/ barter or lose any of the USGI parts. But the schematics in the manual on the home page show a booster on a M37 like the one on the far right in the pic. Mabe they changed or updated as they went-like the M16. Thanks for the info.

·
PhD in Over-Engineering
12,152 Posts
blkbd- I knew you weren't going to let go of that booster. Just threw that in, he he!

It is unusual to find that on a 1919 kit. The early manuals I have seen that cover the M37 have the standard two-piece, like yours on the left. The
1969 ones show the right one as you mentioned. I have a Marine Corp M37 parts manual that shows the middle one. I guess all three can be considered correct! But real M37 kits are so rare, and surplus boosters of that style I have yet to see on the market. I'll turn one up someday. :)

Your friend is right. The only time you want to break up any parts in a USGI kit is if you have different mfg markings and wish to match everything up. Most don't care about that. For those components that were modified by Israel, the unmodified USGI ones are more valuable at this time.

Wish I had precise dates on the design changes, but at least that is a reasonable history.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts