1919 A4 Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,

Well I recently sold off some MG08 Sleds and was looking for a MG to buy with the money. Well Jap MGs have been well priced as of late. I decided to toss a low bit on this one and I got it! Jap LMG for the price of a Mac... Hard to beat!

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/574195594

So now I have a Type 96 coming! Of course I am looking for some parts now! It comes with a Mag body but I am looking for the Follower, Springs and floor plate. Or a complete or repro mag. These guns also have cool optics, so I would like to find a scope for it. Spare parts too. Finally there is a 7.62x39 conversion out there for it and I will really want to find one of them so I can afford to shoot the gun! As normal, really interested in just about anything if anyone sees anything for sale.

You know, coming from Maxims and Brownings, its odd how little info is out there on these guns! I mean not even one collector grade book! That sucks! Anyway, I thought some might like to see and maybe some of you are sitting on some parts I can buy!

·
Registered
4,459 Posts
Nice! Your gun was made at the Tokyo Kokura Arsenal in January 1939. It's going to be a tough one to find mags for much less mag parts. I've messed with them some and had a Type 99 once. I suggest you look at either the ZB39 mag or the MG13 mag for the follower. I think you can make the floor plate without to much trouble.

Never heard of converting the 96 to 7.62x39. Do they sleeve the barrel or make a new one?

I'll keep an eye out for parts and occasionally they show up on GB as parts kits. Good luck.

·
Registered
3,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nice! Your gun was made at the Tokyo Kokura Arsenal in January 1939. It's going to be a tough one to find mags for much less mag parts. I've messed with them some and had a Type 99 once. I suggest you look at either the ZB39 mag or the MG13 mag for the follower. I think you can make the floor plate without to much trouble.

Never heard of converting the 96 to 7.62x39. Do they sleeve the barrel or make a new one?

I'll keep an eye out for parts and occasionally they show up on GB as parts kits. Good luck.
Thanks, Yeah I know the mag parts/mag will not be cheap. I am ok with that. Yeah I will have to make some if it comes to it.

Yes a guy use to make the 7.62 conversion. OOW just sold one. They are out there and I have seen a half dozen sell but now I need one! :)

Thanks!

·
Registered
393 Posts
Matt, Bob Naess has had the mag springs reproduced. You can make the floorplates yourself (there are two). The follower will be a bit more complicated.

I looked at that gun. Yes, parts and mags are well nigh impossible. Nice gun, though. Lots of fun to shoot!

·
Registered
739 Posts
Reloading isn't workable? I'd go that route before I went with another expensive and hard to obtain cartridge like 6.5 swede. After you shoot it once or twice, you will not be buying brass.

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
Only the 7.62X39 conversion is worthwhile for the 96s. Jim Langley converted Chinese 7.62X39 ZB26 barrels to fit the 96s and made an AK mag adaptor for the magwell. Every once in a while one of these kits floats onto the internet pricing from $1k up. The barrels have a single port, so non-adjustable and neither is headspace for these guns. Jim is now out of business.
There is no other alternative magazine that can be converted for the 96s as there are for the 99s, for which MG13 mags can be converted to fit, but they are very labor intensive to get right and be reliable and durable. I made quite a few years ago, but now I can't charge enough to cover the labor. Original 96 mags will cost you $900 and up, lots more if they are a pair in their canvas carrier.
T96s didn't use a flash-hider, but did use a dust cover and a bayonet. Having a bayonet on your gun at the range is a real crowd pleaser. There are a lot of different makers and style sod bayous and they're pretty inexpensive, up to $150 with scabbard and frog, etc.
Don Schlickman in IA makes a lot of japanese rifle and pistol parts and has added various T92/96/99 parts as well. Firing pins can be fragile and Don makes those for the 96 for a pittance. He also makes extractors. Nothing else is needed.
Scopes for the T96 have a windage scale of 20 in the optics and T99s have 40. Always ask which scope is being offered when considering buying one because hey are identical except for the windage markings. Expect to pay $400 and up depending on condition or if it has case, strap and other gewgaws.
There is really not much to these guns and they are very self evident so an hour or so taking it apart and reassemble it will do the job of educating yourself. A repro field gunner's shield is made for the 96s which is a cute display item. You can find the maker over at the Japanese firearms string at Gunboards. Don't bother looking for an original tripod for the gun as it seems they only existed as an experiment or some such.

·
Registered
706 Posts
I'm just curious, does it have a quick change barrel? Forgive me for not knowing anything about them, l agree there is not much info out there.
Only the 7.62X39 conversion is worthwhile for the 96s. Jim Langley converted Chinese 7.62X39 ZB26 barrels to fit the 96s and made an AK mag adaptor for the magwell. Every once in a while one of these kits floats onto the internet pricing from $1k up. The barrels have a single port, so non-adjustable and neither is headspace for these guns. Jim is now out of business.
There is no other alternative magazine that can be converted for the 96s as there are for the 99s, for which MG13 mags can be converted to fit, but they are very labor intensive to get right and be reliable and durable. I made quite a few years ago, but now I can't charge enough to cover the labor. Original 96 mags will cost you $900 and up, lots more if they are a pair in their canvas carrier.
T96s didn't use a flash-hider, but did use a dust cover and a bayonet. Having a bayonet on your gun at the range is a real crowd pleaser. There are a lot of different makers and style sod bayous and they're pretty inexpensive, up to $150 with scabbard and frog, etc.
Don Schlickman in IA makes a lot of japanese rifle and pistol parts and has added various T92/96/99 parts as well. Firing pins can be fragile and Don makes those for the 96 for a pittance. He also makes extractors. Nothing else is needed.
Scopes for the T96 have a windage scale of 20 in the optics and T99s have 40. Always ask which scope is being offered when considering buying one because hey are identical except for the windage markings. Expect to pay $400 and up depending on condition or if it has case, strap and other gewgaws.
There is really not much to these guns and they are very self evident so an hour or so taking it apart and reassemble it will do the job of educating yourself. A repro field gunner's shield is made for the 96s which is a cute display item. You can find the maker over at the Japanese firearms string at Gunboards. Don't bother looking for an original tripod for the gun as it seems they only existed as an experiment or some such.

·
Registered
3,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Matt, Bob Naess has had the mag springs reproduced. You can make the floorplates yourself (there are two). The follower will be a bit more complicated.

I looked at that gun. Yes, parts and mags are well nigh impossible. Nice gun, though. Lots of fun to shoot!
Bob, do you still have any of these? Seems like I should buy at least a few!

I have a line on some AK mags converted to fit into the Type 96... I guess no mag adapter needed? Ever seen them?

Yeah, I have talked to Jim, he is out. Any chance you want to take over that conversion Bob? ;) Otherwise I will have to keep watching for one! Anyone have details on how the conversion was done?

Talked to Don, I will be putting together an order there soon.

Yes I absolutely will shoot it with a bayonet on there! I will have to look into that a bit more. Need to find a good looking correct bayonet there!

Already had a scammer try to sell my a Scope. On well, I am sure one will pop up. I might have to look into that shield too. I will have to check gunboards threads. I have not been over there for a while. Damn new job keeps me very busy!

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
>I have a line on some AK mags converted to fit into the Type 96... I guess no mag adapter needed? Ever seen them?<

Yes, an AK mag adaptor is required, so it is not as simple as just plugging an AK mag into the 96 magwell. The width of the AK mags can be reduced to fit the 96 magwell, but the length cannot. The magwell adaptor supplies a correct length AK magwell with latch and positioning for feed.
I have seen half a dozen of the 7.62X39 conversions to fit them to customers' guns, work up mags, and test them. Also have an X39 conversion for one of my 96s.

There is no simple way to provide 7.62X39 barrels for use with the 96s. The Chinese barrels are all gone, so the only way to do it now is to have them made from scratch. Gasblocks with front sights need to be made and correctly fitted. Carry handles as well, which Jim did for some of his barrels, but not all. Magwell adaptor for AK mags is required, so that's another part to be fabricated. This is a full time project and would need to be done with a short production run anticipated to recoup costs. Not a money maker any more since everything has to be manufactured from scratch. No shortcuts. small market, etc, etc.

·
Registered
4,953 Posts
Looks like a good purchase, most guys shy away due to mag and ammo costs. Looking at a saw cut parts kit myself but am still sitting on the fence with it, still prefer the early German guns with the good Krupp steel. I do have a nice bayonet if your interested and it's marked by the same factory as your gun. Nice to see you diversifying but not so sure I would have sold the sledge mounts to make it happen. Congrats on your new purchase just the same.
CaptMax

·
Registered
393 Posts
Just get a set of dies and load 6.5 yourself. Prvi makes the brass. It's always more fun to shoot something in the original caliber.
This is not a gun you're going to take out every weekend and run the hell out of it anyway. But it is a very enjoyable and reliable weapon. PM me I will give you Don Schlickman's contact info.

Actually I have a copy of his current price list saved to my hard drive I can email that to you....

I can also give you Rick's (japkrap) S's contact for the repro shields.

I don't care what anyone says, Jap stuff is cool!!

·
Registered
3,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yes, an AK mag adaptor is required, so it is not as simple as just plugging an AK mag into the 96 magwell. The width of the AK mags can be reduced to fit the 96 magwell, but the length cannot. The magwell adaptor supplies a correct length AK magwell with latch and positioning for feed.
I have seen half a dozen of the 7.62X39 conversions to fit them to customers' guns, work up mags, and test them. Also have an X39 conversion for one of my 96s.

There is no simple way to provide 7.62X39 barrels for use with the 96s. The Chinese barrels are all gone, so the only way to do it now is to have them made from scratch. Gasblocks with front sights need to be made and correctly fitted. Carry handles as well, which Jim did for some of his barrels, but not all. Magwell adaptor for AK mags is required, so that's another part to be fabricated. This is a full time project and would need to be done with a short production run anticipated to recoup costs. Not a money maker any more since everything has to be manufactured from scratch. No shortcuts. small market, etc, etc.
Well I will see what I can find. I am ok at coming up with odd parts, lets see. Now at least I know what I am looking for. If anyone has any pictures, it would really help me understand what I am looking for. I know OOW recently sold one of these kits. I think I will try them and see if they have any more.

Looks like a good purchase, most guys shy away due to mag and ammo costs. Looking at a saw cut parts kit myself but am still sitting on the fence with it, still prefer the early German guns with the good Krupp steel. I do have a nice bayonet if your interested and it's marked by the same factory as your gun. Nice to see you diversifying but not so sure I would have sold the sledge mounts to make it happen. Congrats on your new purchase just the same.
CaptMax
Yeah, without the conversion, I don't see myself buying this. I am not a big reloader but I can certainly do more. I do only 45acp and 45LC now. Yes I am interested in the bayonet. Send me a email with what you have, thanks! I still have a Sled, I just downgraded and took money out of premium versions. I am a shooter, original paint is not worth thousands more to me. I really did not plan to sell them but the price was right. I might have set the record for sale price on these sleds.

Just get a set of dies and load 6.5 yourself. Prvi makes the brass. It's always more fun to shoot something in the original caliber.
This is not a gun you're going to take out every weekend and run the hell out of it anyway. But it is a very enjoyable and reliable weapon. PM me I will give you Don Schlickman's contact info.

Actually I have a copy of his current price list saved to my hard drive I can email that to you....

I can also give you Rick's (japkrap) S's contact for the repro shields.

I don't care what anyone says, Jap stuff is cool!!
Na, I will shoot it a few times a year. I have Don's info and list, thanks anyway.

Yes please do send Rick's contact info. [email protected] is mine.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts