1919 A4 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,994 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was finishing up on my Enfield 45 conversion and decided to braze on a front sight. I busted out my Sears Oxy-Mapp, set it until I heard a nice FOOOOSH and got to work.

It took me a while to get the brass brazing rods to flow, but when I finished I was a little worried. The INSIDE of the BBL was glowing cherry red. Now, this is a brand new 45 ACP rifle BBL. Im not running high pressure loads....factory loads at the highest, light reloads being the norm. I only fired 7 rounds of FMJ today and cleaned with a patch, but I swear it looks like there is a little curl of scalloped copped fouling just below where it was glowing red.

Have I done some crazy metallurgical sin and condemned this BBL? Please keep in mind...this isnt a machine gun bbl, its a light bbl made for a bolt gun and plinking loads.

·
Premium Member
3,030 Posts
Brazing heat is a bit much on a barrel. Silver solder would have been much better. That said, you probably didn't do damage that will matter in a long barrel .45ACP. The pressure at the muzzle will be relatively light. It is possible accuracy will be degraded a bit. Give the bore a good scrb to remove any scale and try it out.

The good news is that you won't have to worry about the front sight coming off.

·
Registered
6,355 Posts
I agree with this prior response.

Silver soldering is often somewhat of a misnomer since an alloy is generally used, such as 38%Ag, 32%Cu, 28%Zn, 2%Sn or 45%Ag, 15%Cu, 16%Zn, 24%Cd. In addition to having a lower processing temperature, the alloy typically results in a lower-strength joint than a brazed joint. The shear strength of brazed joints typically exceeds that of soldered joints by a factor of five and in this case may have been not necessary. As long as accuracy and cosmetics have not been altered too much you're probably OK with your barrel.

The Lone Ranger's "silver bullets" :eek:fftopic: would have been highly unlikely without an alloy to let them melt at a temperature low enough for casting, and soft enough to engage the rifling.

Carry On!
Gary
><>

·
Registered
4,704 Posts
Get a package of bronze scrubbing pads from a local dollar store. For a BUCK! :)
Cut one of the pads open and spread it out flat. Cut a square off big enough to wrap around a .45 cal. bronze bore brush. Wrap the brush, cramming the weave down into the bristles while turning it in the direction of bore rifling.
Then use it as you normally would with some solvent. That WILL get that nasty scale out in no time.
It eats the fabric pretty quick, so a few applications is usually needed.

This is also a good trick for heavy lead fouling.

I've seen video of how a certain commercial company attaches the front sites to their pistols. It was Induction Brazing, not soldering. I believe the product being used was a brazing paste. The end of the barrel was Orange.
No worries as long as you let the metal cool down slow and don't quench it, changing the temper.

·
Registered
2,994 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Get a package of bronze scrubbing pads from a local dollar store. For a BUCK! :)
Cut one of the pads open and spread it out flat. Cut a square off big enough to wrap around a .45 cal. bronze bore brush. Wrap the brush, cramming the weave down into the bristles while turning it in the direction of bore rifling.
Then use it as you normally would with some solvent. That WILL get that nasty scale out in no time.
It eats the fabric pretty quick, so a few applications is usually needed.

This is also a good trick for heavy lead fouling.

I've seen video of how a certain commercial company attaches the front sites to their pistols. It was Induction Brazing, not soldering. I believe the product being used was a brazing paste. The end of the barrel was Orange.
No worries as long as you let the metal cool down slow and don't quench it, changing the temper.
Yeah, I walked away from it and didnt touch it for at least 40 minutes. When I went back to it to clean it up, it was still warm but I was more than able to touch it with bare hands.

Want to know the REAL kick in the ass?? Despite measuring multiple time and making sure the c clamp held it good and tight during prep....its still just a tiny bit off center. Kind of like all those crooked Maadi AK front sights from years ago. DOH!!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts