1919 A4 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed the breech lock cam screw on the bottom plate was pretty loose. Is there a specific torque I should put on this, or is hand tight sufficient?

thank you.

·
PhD in Over-Engineering
12,049 Posts
Just a bit of history here, for general purposes. The WWI 1917s had the breech lock cam screw tightened and staked in place. It was only in post war development that floating the cam was found to be desirable. In WWII, one particular manual noted that cam float should be SOP, the screw being staked at 1/6-1/4 turn from hand tight, but that on guns of Saginaw manufacture the cam could be staked with no float. This acknowledges the high quality of the Saginaw bottom plates, which apparently proved stronger than any other mfg. The image below is courtesy of Bill Ricca

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just a bit of history here, for general purposes. The WWI 1917s had the breech lock cam screw tightened and staked in place. It was only in post war development that floating the cam was found to be desirable. In WWII, one particular manual noted that cam float should be SOP, the screw being staked at 1/6-1/4 turn from hand tight, but that on guns of Saginaw manufacture the cam could be staked with no float. This acknowledges the high quality of the Saginaw bottom plates, which apparently proved stronger than any other mfg. The image below is courtesy of Bill Ricca. View attachment 98448
I happen to have a Saginaw parts kit gun. I hand tightened the breech lock screw and used thread locker, per Greaser’s recommendation.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts