1919 A4 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a very hard jam yesterday morning. The gun was running fine, then just locked up. I brought it home, and to dissamble it, I had to tap the bolt with a wooden dowel. Once I had it apart I found a little sliver of steel. It took about 10 minutes to find out where it came from. It was a small piece that had broken off the right rear of the guide ridge on the bolt. I checked the breech lock screw and found it to be very loose. I had used loctite instead of peening. Anyway I guess it could have been worse. Just wanted to let people know, so something similar won't happen to you.

·
Registered
169 Posts
gunranger,
blue or red?
I used blue on mine in lieu of peening. wasn't sure if it would work as there isn't any tension on the bolt. not loose yet but I've only run 2-300 thru it. definitely have to keep an eye on that. or peen it.
mcj600

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think my problem was the threads on the pan head screw were too loose for the hole. I changed over to a allen cap screw and it fit a lot tighter with the head going up in the recess. Cleaned the threads with acetone and used blue loctite.

·
Registered
169 Posts
hmmmmm...
that must be why Orin included the extra socket head cap screw with my kit. I used the original as it wasn't all beat to death. have to keep an eye on it - probably just peen it and be done with.

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
Screw

I used the BLue LocTite on my screw for the 1919 Water Cooled build and after the run Saturday if was still tight. I will continue to check this after each firing to make sure it is correct; this is just to be on the safe side.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts