1919 A4 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I never liked the cocking handle on the Bren Mk II -- especially on my Len Savage SA Bren which uses a massive spring. The Bren Gun Saga discusses a solution that involved modifying the Mk II receiver (removing the "hump") and brazing a new piece into the receiver so the standard Mk I handle would fit and lock when folded forward. Not going that route with my Mk II, I modified a Mk I cocking handle slide (plugged, relocated, and redrilled the hole) and the Mk I handle (very slightly shortened) to clear the "hump" on the Mk II receiver. Here's a pic. It locks forward when folded and works well.

·
11,302 Posts
good looking project. post a few more photos for the others who are interested in following suit

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Damn Rory, I feel like I'm being graded like one of my students submitting a class project. ;-)

I'll try to find a little time to disassemble and take pictures. BTW, I'm very limited in tooling and expertise. This was done with a 40 year old drill press, bench grinder, and files. I soldered the plug in the existing slide hole before drilling the new hole. It only took me a couple of hours and two beers. I'm still waiting for the proper pin from BRP. The current pin in the picture is temporary.

·
Registered
80 Posts
This is great information for all 5 of us Bren guys out here! I tried to get the MKl charging handle to fit my MKll awhile back, but gave up. Thanks Old Soldier for sharing. That's why this is such a great Board. BP out.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Yes, I know, but up here in N Fl they are scarce. Not even many SA, no FA to speak of.
I just converted my MKII cut/welded DLO FA to a MKI charging handle. Will try it out this weekend!
Operates very smoothly and is a great improvement over the MKII handle! more to hold, etc.
Standing by, BP

·
Premium Member
5,484 Posts
Greta job brother old tools or not it looks great.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts