1919 A4 Forums banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
912 Posts
Gosh, I put a link in my last reply, BRP has .303 magazine followers at 75 cents each and they are in stock (970 of them). They are NOS but maybe you could find them somewhere else in better condition and less expensive.
If you buy 25 or more the price goes down to .53

·
Registered
32 Posts
How’s your recoil spring? The surplus ones I have all seem pretty worn and weak. I’ve found that recoil springs can cause some weird failures. I’m currently using a HK 308 rifle spring that I cut some coils off since I couldn’t find any new Bren springs

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
How’s your recoil spring? The surplus ones I have all seem pretty worn and weak. I’ve found that recoil springs can cause some weird failures. I’m currently using a HK 308 rifle spring that I cut some coils off since I couldn’t find any new Bren springs
I purchased my spare BREN drive springs from Brian/BRP while visiting with him at Knob Creek:

They are near the bottom of the page.

Richard

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Brand new from Len at Historic Arms. Also replaced is the firing pin spring and extractor spring.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I own several S/A Brens in three different calibers. I’ve got a South African.308 conversion set along with a 54R conversion that both use the ZB39 mags. What I did was take the auxiliary spring out from under the follower, that way I can get 28 rounds to feed without an issue. I did however make a dummy .308 & 54R round that I load first as the last round in the mag doesn’t get picked up and fed so by using a dummy round I know my mag is empty.
In regards to short cycling, get a spare striker spring from Len Savage at Historic Arms and start off by removing one coil at a time until you feel the gun operating properly at gas setting 2.
It takes a bit of trial and error but you’ll find it well worth the effort.
What ammo runs effectively in a full auto gun may not be providing enough recoil power to compensate for the weight of the striker and the compression of the striker spring. I’ve done side by side experiments with 303 and 54R that confirm this is the case.

cheers

Gary

21 - 25 of 25 Posts