1919 A4 Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,953 Posts
Mine is like the first one you listed a link to fastmonkey.
Are you in the market for one? PM me if so.
CaptMax

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
First tripod is a MKI missing the two piece AA extension. Each half of the extension a stored in the cradle side tubes. Second is MKII that did not carry AA extension in cradle tubes.

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
First tripod is a MKI missing the two piece AA extension. Each half of the extension a stored in the cradle side tubes. Second is MKII that did not carry AA extension in cradle tubes.
So with that said did they issue MKII tripods with MKI guns? Or when the MKII gun came out did they switch to the new tripod at that time?

I want to get mine as correct as possible

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
As with all military hardware, the initial issue production evolved as time passed to simplify, make more efficient, lighter, etc so there are variations of each type of Bren tripod within the Mks. All Brens will fit all tripods and what ever tripod was available was used in the field. Find the manufacture date of your gun by serial number and then match up a tripod that would most likely be used with that gun.
FWIW

·
Premium Member
3,288 Posts
If you look at the production numbers, there were fewer MKII Bren tripods made than the MKI model. Here are the models and production numbers from brit plumber at http://1919a4.com/showthread.php?51705-Worth-of-a-Good-Bren-tripod:

There's four marks of Bren Tripod, Mk1, Mk1*, Mk2 and Mk2*.

The Mk1 is the original AA type with the small T&E stops, No more than 74,700 made by BSA, 10,000 by CCM and 10,000 by AGE. AGE don't appear to have made tripods past 1943 but up to that time they were making 1 Tripod for every Lithgow made gun. All BSA Mk1 Tripods had butt handle clip holes, the first 2000 or so AGE Tripods had clip holes and all CCM tripods had them.

Mk1* is an intermediate tripod which varies in production spec up to the complete Mk2 spec. They range from the Mk1 but missing the 3rd leg and latch to adjustable front leg (Without the machining for the elevated gun mounting arm) being the only mk1 part remaining. BSA made approx. 8,000 of them.

Mk2 is the basic tripod with out machining to the head and fixed front leg, also has the large knob T&E stops. BSA made approx. 30,000 of them, AGE never made the Mk2 and CCM are reported to have made some but I've never seen one.

Mk2* is a foldable version for Parachute containers, BSA made approx. 600 but I know of only 4 left in existence, many were still in MOD stores in the 1990s and may have been destroyed when the last L4's were withdrawn.

Theres also and Indian Mk2* version and an Indian 1919A4 type tripod designed/modified for the Bren.

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
There are also post-WWII Bren tripods such as made by FN in the '50s of which I have an example. It is a MkI style with the AA extension.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts