1919 A4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found a guy to take my half-track up to the local car show so I've been finishing some detail work on the 57mmAT gun and some small stuff on the half-track, I like to set things up like they were stopped for the night, cots and tents the short wave radio playing Bing, this year I wanted to set up a 1919 on a tripod with some sand bags, I drug home an old M-series deuce bed years ago and it was full of canvas sand bags, most were rotted so my wife sewed up bunch from some burlap that was left over from another project, problem is they are way to light,I had this problem with some zippers when I made seat cushions a while ago, so I brewing up OD sand bags in the tub, I thinned down some left over OD water based paint and let them soak a couple days, they aren't exactly the same shade as the originals but they look better then they did, the bag on the right in the picture was an original, the other was a test bag, when they are all dry, and my wife gets home we'll fill them with packing peanuts with a rock inside then sew them closed, I try to make the display different each year,it always goes over big with the kids, big and small!

·
Registered
4,704 Posts
Good idea with the rock in the packing peanuts. Can you imagine the laughter if a gust of wind blew away a stack of 'sand bags' from a display? :rofl:

·
Registered
4,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
sand bags

I didn't want to fill them with sand, my back is shot already and lugging 16 sand bags wouldn't help much, so my wife came up with the packing peanuts and rock, I was trying to think of something about half way between sand and packing peanuts,actual peanuts would be a good choice, if I lived someplace I could get them cheap, but out here I'm very limited.

·
Registered
4,704 Posts
I didn't want to fill them with sand, my back is shot already and lugging 16 sand bags wouldn't help much, so my wife came up with the packing peanuts and rock, I was trying to think of something about half way between sand and packing peanuts,actual peanuts would be a good choice, if I lived someplace I could get them cheap, but out here I'm very limited.
Oh, I totally get where you're coming from. Good idea too. I was just having a bit of fun.:eek:

·
Registered
4,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
wind

wind was a serious consideration in the planning of this project, it's not unusual to get surprise wind gust of over 50mph, we call the dust devils, they are basically EF0 tornados, but they can tear stuff up. I was also thinking about beans in the bags, but again a little expensive,packing peanuts I have boxes of!

·
Registered
472 Posts
sand bags

i used wood pellets for a wood stove to fill mine not too heavy but they are a little dusty and can not get wet or they get moldy

·
Registered
6,355 Posts
47lincsled SEZ: "....if I lived someplace I could get them cheap...."

Ain't that a *****!? Around here nobody will take peanuts (AKA Ghost Turds) for recycling, so I build up bags of them in the basement thinking "I might be able to use them someday." Of course I seldom do, other than mailing firearm parts. Even were I to give them to you, to ship them anywhere would probably cost more than you could purchase them for at WalMart or the Post Office. At least the 'air pillows' can be deflated and recycled as plastic bags. The wood pellets are probably your best bet, as even sandbags would be dusty.

Recycling? Used to get sawdust from the lumber mill by the truckload for free for horse stalls -- then a guy I met who worked for Dixie Cup got the brilliant idea to scrape the runoff paraffin wax from the manufacturing floor and mix it with sawdust and called it 'fireplace logs' and/or 'fire-starters' -- no more free sawdust/wood shavings. And now? Fireplace pellets. Gotta be a way for someone to make money on used peanuts.

Talk about peanuts blowing in the wind. I once saw four young ladies on an east coast beach, with the wind blowing north-south, have a pillow fight with feather pillows -- never before or since have I seen such a sight as millions of feathers flying up the beach! Great way to "recycle" feather pillows!!!

Carry On!
Gary
><>

Carry On!
Gary
><>

·
Premium Member
3,030 Posts
Packing peanuts

Thanks to a "voluntary" one month stint in supply during my early days in the Corps, packing peanuts will forever be known as "ghost turds". As in, "Hey, Private Numbnuts, take this box of flambatic delpulators over to the ghost turd bin and top it off so we can ship it." Guess who was Private Numbnuts. :D

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
Do you own a paper shredder? Fill your display sandbags with paper shreddings. It will give them the shape and form you want with 1/10th the weight. (Its what we use on the indoor electronic ranges).

·
Registered
4,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
sand bags

I dug out a bunch of packing peanuts this afternoon and filled one of the bags half way then stuffed a 3-5 pound rock into it then filled it the rest of the way, I stapled it shut so I could see how it works, I wasn't very happy, it just didn't look right, it looked like a canvas pillow, so I made a quick run up to the hardware store that still had some wood pellets left, $7 for a 40 pound bag,I bought 4 bags and it filled 15 sand bags, they stack nicely and lay properly, thanks tank-track for the suggestion! I was tempted to dig into the food supply and pull out some pinto beans,as long as they stayed dry they should still good to eat!

·
Registered
2,869 Posts
Off topic , but....
When they filmed the 2-part episode of Combat , the one where they have to take the two bunkers up on the high ground , they had to rebuild the " bunkers" each morning because the wind during the night would scatter them all over the hillside . They were assembled from giant styroform blocks.
Chris

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
Put a small plastic garbage bag inside your sandbags, fill with fuel pellets, tie up the plastic bag, then tie up the sand bag. Looks great, and no dust.

·
Registered
4,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
sand bags

The pellets that I bought looked really clean, the only dust was at the very last cupful at the bottom, so I just tossed it,I had to do a test last night in the kitchen, just to see, not bad!

·
Registered
4,859 Posts
I filled mine with that shredded tire mulch you find. Gave it enough weight and not too heavy, yet stayed in place around the mortar display.
They won't absorb moisture, but it wasn't cheap either. Spent about $75 total filling them all. :eek:
When I get done with them at least the wife will have new landscape material. :rofl:
CaptMax

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
If your packing peanuts are Styrofoam (most nowadays are corn starch based) heres one REALLY fun way to be rid of them....

Mix 90% peanuts with 10% gasoline. You will get a gooey, gelatinous mess that sticks to anything it touches.....then light it on fire.......poor mans napalm. Mind you, this method is probably banned by the EPA and a dozen other environmental groups.

Try it. Its so much fun.

·
Registered
4,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
up date

The car show was today, so I spent yesterday loading everything up for a real early start today, the day start out beautiful,actually a little hot, but then it started to spindle,which quickly turned into a down pour,I was set up on asphalt and the water was flowing, so all the bags on the bottom row got soaked, they have all swelled up so tight I'm afraid they may split the seams, next time I'll know to put them in garbage bags before I fill them, hopefully they will dry out without molding!

·
Registered
960 Posts
Well at least they didn't float away!! Nothing worse then to be in liquid sunshine only to have your defense wander on down the river.

Nice display. Ton of work but nobody can say you haven't left a positive mark on your local community by the effort.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts