1919 A4 Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up this little mortar recently. Its a 2in British type, and it reminds me of the Japanese knee mortar. These were used a lot during WW2, but saw use afterwards as well. It's marked A.B.L. 51. Proper and full name:ML-2in Mortar mk viii*

mine.

Period photo. Ammo looks like a coke can with fins.

Its demilled, of course. Barrel cut and blocked, tacked to breach. Firing pin and breach face taken out, small weld in that space as well. Striker still works, and it looks fixable, if needed.

Mine is a Mk8*, which is the last model of the series. It has the standard length barrel, which should be screwed on with a square thread.

It looks to be striker fired only, there is no drop fire setting. This model uses the internal parts from a flare pistol, so spares will be easy to find if needed. I'll need to get the cool accessories. Sling, muzzle cover, hand grip, sight, etc. I bet these are a hoot to fire. 500 yard range...

·
Registered
4,704 Posts
Great find! Totally makes sense not to be drop fired without a way to stabilize the aim.:eek:

·
Registered
258 Posts
It looks great! I love the rolled marks on the tube. I can't wait to see it once it is dd'ed. Do these show up often?

Ben

·
Registered
739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
These used to be easy enough to find. A fair number were imported in the late 90s or early 2000s (I think that was the time period). That being said, I haven't seen one for sale on a big website recently, so they are kinda hard to price.

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
to nirvana

hy, yours has a little more to it
i,m convinced it,s britisch made, but ABL stand for : Armée Belge Léger
so yours has seen duty in the belgium army.
proberly a bunch have been purchased from the british compagny who made these...
i have a BAR tripod with exact the same marking, and thats a belgium made and used one also

·
Registered
4,704 Posts
I have a live one and its a blast , will throw 1lb dummy about 400yds with 5gr of 231
WOW!!!!! That's a darn good lob for a tiny amount of powder!!! Any chance you can post a pic of what you're using for dummy rounds, please? :)

·
Premium Member
1,341 Posts
Here is one of the practice rounds I made for mine, You can see the re loadable cartridge I made. This way I can take a few practice rounds out and a couple of dozen pre-loaded cartridges and swap them with a std 3/4" wrench. A breeze to reload, replace shotgun primer, the brass portion has a nipple, the poly tubing slips over the nipple, pour powder in tube and shove a little paper in the tube to keep the powder from falling out.

The threaded hole in the back of the projectile has a hole thats a fairly snug fit for the tubing.

This round has been fired over 20 times, havent gone over 5 grs of 231 since these can be pretty hard to find beyond a few hundred yards.

·
Registered
4,704 Posts
WOW!!! Excellent machine work as usual! :eek:
Thank you very much for the pics. The projos are smaller than I anticipated.

I have GOT to get another lathe.

:handclap:

·
Premium Member
6,947 Posts
Very nice work panaceabeachbum it looks like a lot of fun.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I dont have pics of breach or firin pin, but I just copied pics Destiny had posted to make those.

apologies for hijack, just love these mortars
You didn't hijack it at all, you just posted some badass photos. Well done.

Did you happen to make a spare breach or firing pin?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts