1919 A4 Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Text Paper Document Font Paper product Text Paper Font Document Paper product Text Document Paper Font Paper product Text Paper Font Document Paper product

Here is some information I found while reading through some Training manuals I found. one is dated November 1918 and is an Army machine gun training handout. It has a page that calls out for the pouch to be attached to the tripod leg and gives a list of the contents. Seems like a lot to fit in that small pouch. The second is from TR-320-35 which gives different contents to be in the leather pouch. It also says it should be attached in the rear of the feedway on the right side of the cradle. This paragraph starts by saying the pouch is under development but it sounds like the standard type that is usually dated 1918. This manual was printed in 1925 so this seems odd. Sorry about the one picture being sideways I could not figure out how to get it turned correctly. I dont have a 1917 tripod to try this attachment method on but I doubt it would work on the 1917A1 type. Hope some of you find this information interesting. Dan

·
Registered
983 Posts
Thanks for the scans TG. I am always looking for more historical info on these accessory items.

Chris

·
Registered
394 Posts
Thank you for posting this as I have always wondered what went in those leather pouches.

Were these used at all in WWII? I have yet to see a photo of a 1917A1 in WWII with the leather pouch on the tripod leg.

·
Premium Member
5,467 Posts
Most if all the information is out there somewhere, finding it is the problem Thanks for posting. It appears that the later pouch 'under development" was more a tool pouch and the one that went on the leg spare parts. This would analogous to the M12 and M13 canvas rolls. While most may already know this the "clearing plug" is the broken cartridge (shell) extracto.r

1 - 6 of 6 Posts