1919 A4 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A fellow local to me has a Browning .303 MKII aircraft gun. He wants to do a .308 caliber conversion on it. I told him I would ask around and see if it is possible and what it would take to do that as I am not that familiar with those models. I have not seen it so this is just going on what he has told me so far. Does anyone have any experience with one of these and any caliber conversions or possibilities of one on them?

My initial thoughts were that he would need a .30 caliber ANM2 bolt, top cover, and then a custom turned barrel but again, I am not terribly familiar with the model he is working with. Would be much easier if it was just a 1919!!!

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Pretty much what you thought - you will need to find 30 cal internals, and hope they interface with the open bolt aspect of the MKII. I tried fitting the bolt/ barrel ext once a long time ago to my MKII. It seemed to fit, but I did not try to actually install and fire them with the trigger frame and grips of the ANM2 or the MKII. You would probably need a top cover and spacers as well, since the feed system is designed for the 303 and the MKII links. It does not seem to be a real cost effective conversion.

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
A fellow local to me has a Browning .303 MKII aircraft gun. He wants to do a .308 caliber conversion on it. I told him I would ask around and see if it is possible and what it would take to do that as I am not that familiar with those models. I have not seen it so this is just going on what he has told me so far. Does anyone have any experience with one of these and any caliber conversions or possibilities of one on them?

My initial thoughts were that he would need a .30 caliber ANM2 bolt, top cover, and then a custom turned barrel but again, I am not terribly familiar with the model he is working with. Would be much easier if it was just a 1919!!!
I believe it is doable. Let me look over my kits and spare parts.

Can you find 308 ANM2 barrels. All I ever find is 30-06 ANM2 barrels.

Troy

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info gents.

Troy,

Let me know what you come up with. If you think it is feasible then I will get you and him in touch with each other. I have never seen a .308 ANM2 barrel which is why I was thinking it would have to be a custom turned item. I don't know if a 1919 .308 barrel could be made to work by turning it down and then re-threading the breach end (I think the barrel extensions on the aircraft guns have a different thread pattern than 1919's.....maybe)??

·
Registered
556 Posts

I own a BSA MKII .303 aircraft gun.
The way I read the history/development BSA based the design off the Colt MG40's that they purchased in the 1930's.
I am also familiar with Buffalo Arms produced AN-M2 and have a friend with a DLO MG40 that was built in 7.62 NATO.
The British MK1 & MKII .303 guns are open bolt and very different (internally & externally) from the M1919 and the AN-M2.
I also feel that they are historically significant guns that fought thru WWII and beyond.
If your friends .303 Browning is an original C&R machine gun I would suggest he consider not altering it.
In fact, I think the last line that you wrote would be the easiest path to having a Browning in 7.62 that you can find parts & barrels for relatively easily.
He could sell the sell off the .303 to a collector and use the funds to buy a nice M1919 in 7.62! Transferable M1919's are available thru a good number of sources.

It sounds like an effort, but it won't be just a parts swap to make a BSA MKII .303 into a reliable running 7.62 NATO gun.
Those US AN-M2 parts & 7.62 barrels are not easy/cheap to obtain either.
The last thing you would want is to make any permanent alterations to a C&R machine gun.

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
photos

Here are some pictures of mine. It currently has the rear spade grip, there is also a flex cradle assembly I have for it, but it is hard to fire it "free gun" due to the rate of fire.

Gun Firearm Wood Air gun Airsoft gun Gun Firearm Rifle Trigger Air gun Auto part Vehicle

·
Registered
556 Posts
Here are some pictures of mine. It currently has the rear spade grip, there is also a flex cradle assembly I have for it, but it is hard to fire it "free gun" due to the rate of fire.

View attachment 17585 View attachment 17586 View attachment 17587

Does your cradle look like this one?

Gun Firearm Trigger Airsoft gun Air gun Gun Firearm Trigger Airsoft gun Airsoft

I have always wondered what this mounted into?
I showed the pictures to the British museum curators that travel to SAR West, and they were unfamiliar with this cradle.

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
No, the cradle I have is the aircraft "Free gun" with a set of spades on the rear. It replaces the trigger mechanism and has thumb actuated bar that then releases the sear on the bottom of the gun. It would have been a waist or dorsal type mount. The mount is buried in the shop, If I get time I will try to find it. here is an old photo of gun in mount...

Gun Firearm Machine gun Airsoft gun Air gun

Gun Firearm Trigger Airsoft gun Air gun

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
This is a great thread, pics are awesome to see.
Keep posting them.:D
CaptMax

·
Registered
556 Posts
No, the cradle I have is the aircraft "Free gun" with a set of spades on the rear. It replaces the trigger mechanism and has thumb actuated bar that then releases the sear on the bottom of the gun. It would have been a waist or dorsal type mount. The mount is buried in the shop, If I get time I will try to find it. here is an old photo of gun in mount...

View attachment 17590

View attachment 17591
That is a nice set-up and you have the parts for the ammo holder that attaches to the feed.
That type of frame rail mount I believe will allow the gun to recoil in it.
I think yours is like this one:

Bumper Machine Automotive exterior Electronics Vehicle Bumper Airsoft Trigger Vehicle

Here is another type of single gun mount, post WWII.

Gun Firearm Trigger Air gun Airsoft gun Metal

·
Registered
1,469 Posts

View attachment 17585 View attachment 17586 View attachment 17587
I've been needing a good reason to make a road trip to your place. My Brit ANM2 kit only has the aircraft solenoid. I need to reverse engineer that spade grip. Mind if I come take a real close look at it?

Karl

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
I've been needing a good reason to make a road trip to your place. My Brit ANM2 kit only has the aircraft solenoid. I need to reverse engineer that spade grip. Mind if I come take a real close look at it?

Karl
Karl

If you do that, will you be willing to share the dimensions how to project? I would be happy to share in some costs.

Troy

·
Registered
556 Posts

Karl
If you have the "rear sear release unit" that attaches to the bottom of the receiver, it actually has a mechanical trip method that can be worked externally.

Text Font Document

The South African made spade grips (pictured above) attach to the existing threaded holes on the sides of the receiver.
The trigger works a lever that passes underneath, I am sure something can be fabricated to engage the mechanical sear release that you have.

The single grip works, but it isn't ideal. You have to remove all the linkage to get the back plate off.

Trigger Machine
Machine Machine tool

You could also take this approach:

Soldier Photography Stock photography

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
The Brit ANM2 trigger is so unique and KEWL, that what i want to do with my Brit kit. its going to be a real challenge to build as I'm a semi auto guy.

Yep, I'll be sure and share my build when it happens.

Karl

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
That is a nice set-up and you have the parts for the ammo holder that attaches to the feed.
That type of frame rail mount I believe will allow the gun to recoil in it.
I think yours is like this one:

View attachment 17592 View attachment 17593

Here is another type of single gun mount, post WWII.

View attachment 17594 View attachment 17595
Yup - those are the south African conversions, some more photos below. Wish I had design drawings for that spade conversion..... We went through a big discussion a while back on MGboards on these when a group was recovered in Australia in a Archeological recovery.

Motor vehicle Machine tool Machine Vehicle Metal lathe Gun Firearm Trigger Air gun Airsoft gun Bumper Machine Automotive exterior Electronics Vehicle Vehicle Helicopter Helicopter pilot Rotorcraft Military organization

Pipe

·
Registered
556 Posts
Yup - those are the south African conversions, some more photos below. Wish I had design drawings for that spade conversion..... We went through a big discussion a while back on MGboards on these when a group was recovered in Australia in a Archeological recovery.

View attachment 17615 View attachment 17616 View attachment 17617 View attachment 17618

View attachment 17619
There is a gent I see every so often at shows who is a wealth of information concerning the use of the .303 Browning POST WWII.
He doesn't live in this country, but did leave me with his business card.
I will try to E-Mail him and ask if he has an example of that SA spade grip.

He knew about this particular configuration:

Vehicle Aircraft Airplane Aviation Propeller-driven aircraft

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
I checked my parts today and it is a do-able conversion. The feedway is the same on the brit gun as the USGI. All the parts seam to swap out.

The only real differences I saw were the trunion and bottom plate were different configurations to allow for a different mounting system and the open bolt Brit trigger slot.

You will need a set of US internals and spades. You may need a US top cover. The front cart guides would have to be custom.

I think the 308 barrel could be made from a 1919a4 barrel because the thread dia on the anm2 is a smaller than the 1919.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts