1919 A4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do you have the inside dim. between the side plates? Can I get your email address? My file size exceeds the web site limits for pics. Thanks Greg

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
Any chance you can harden them? Or at least the surface to about 1/4 inch deep? I don't like the idea of using donor shims against the rivets which would be unnecessary with a good set of HARD wedges. It would also justify the cost.

·
Registered
754 Posts
I am in the heat treating business, to harden the wedges would cost at least 50/100 dollars in material changes and extra grinding operations. It is much easier to replace a shim and start with a "new " surface each time the shims show wear. shop banding material is 25 rc in hardness and next to free as scrap from any company that has it.

·
Registered
754 Posts
yes metal banding material, used to band parts to pallets. hardness of banding material is 25 rc, hardness of rivet is 0 rc . Oh yes, carb and harden, they warp, then you grind, lots of time and money because low volume. stan

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Stanamale is right. The cost of heat treating is not cheap. The bars after heat treating would require surface grinding. Steal warps when heat treated and to get them flat again they would need to be ground. To do all that the price of the bars would go up considerably. As Stanamale suggested hardened shims or a banding matrial woud protect the surfaces. Greg

·
Registered
754 Posts
where are the people who wanted tanker type bucking bars? these are well made and 40.00 less expensive so you guys can see what machine work he does, greg is trying to get his foot in the the door here. he also will do custom work if you contact him. stan

·
PhD in Over-Engineering
12,235 Posts
Greg, you want me to post that pic of the bucking bar here?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I ordered a set of bucking bars from Greg last Monday. They got here in just one week and they look great. Greg answers e-mails quickly and ships right away. He even includes a piece of square tube stock to slide over the threaded rod so that you can clamp the bucking bar down in the receiver. Highly recommended.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I was going to make one but since the place i buy my steel at cant cut the bar the long way. So I just bought 2 -10" pieces of 3/4 square bar and a lil 1/16th by1 flat bar. I tappered the ends a lil like a knife and just pound them in between the two. Lock them down at both ends with c clamps and it worked really well for me. Total cost was $25.00
Just a thought Chewy

·
Registered
17 Posts
bucking bars

If anyone is looking for good and high quality bucking bars, I recommend Machineman's bucking bars for the 1919's. They are very well machined. Absolutely beautiful! Thank you, Machineman.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts