1919 A4 Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
588 Posts
Yes, the buffer screw has 4 notches and there is a small spring loaded detent/plunger that is in the back pate, it fits in one of those notches and keeps it from moving.

·
Registered
885 Posts
They can be pretty hard to get out in my very limited experience with them. Inside the grip handle there is a spring loaded little nipple that locks into one of the four (I think it is four) longitudinal grooves cut into the threaded section of the plug that threads into the tube that contains the buffer disks, I assume to keep it from vibrating loose. I used an impact wrench to get mine off. I’m sure there are others here with more experience with this and techniques with more finesse.

·
Registered
4,063 Posts
Maybe it just me , but it looks like tube had been pinched or dented...The hole looks "out of round"...If it is that might also be your issue.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Maybe it just me , but it looks like tube had been pinched or dented...The hole looks "out of round"...If it is that might also be your issue.
Yes it does seem to be out of round, it's hard to tell if the tubes squished or just shaved off more square on that side, there is definitely no roll pin, or detent pin anywhere on mine, perhaps it is out of round

·
Premium Member
1,305 Posts
The detent is internal.

You can't see it till plug/buffer is out.

·
Premium Member
6,954 Posts
I think Gunner50 nailed it as it looks like it took a drop or a hit and dented the tube on the back plate.

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
could try an impact driver if you still cant get it, once its out attempt reforming it to perfectly round.

this is what i use on stuff like that, pulls out rusted in Mauser action screws like a breeze, just make sure to hold the part solid, because it will spin it a bit. also a correct size bit helps.

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
Definitely agree with it being out of round, try using a vise and the combo wrench. It looks like the screw driver you have been using is too small

·
Premium Member
6,954 Posts
I would suggest if you have the combo wrench to put that in the vise and firmly press down and turn the backplate instead of the other way around. You can get far better leverage going at it like that.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts