1919 A4 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With the NoVa Tupperware Party coming up on Saturday, June 10th, I've been wondering what the record for the number of completions of 1919's is -- from parts set to parkerizing. With over 20 people saying they'll possibly be coming, are we likely to set a record? I know there's been at least 6 or 7 built in a single day build, has anyone seen more? The organic pork for the (real) pit-cooked, slow smoked barbeque has been ordered, so at least we'll have some "record" eats even if we set no other records!!! The anticipation for this is really building -- I know I'm like a kid the week before Christmas, right now.!

·
Registered
204 Posts
I dont know about the record number of builds but I hear ya about the anticipation. I just recieved my complete kit from 30calmachingunner and cant wait to put that puppy together. Just another week:D Dang that reminds me when I get home this weekend I have to go snag that 60 gallon compressor. Looking forward to meeting everyone.

·
Registered
2,967 Posts
at our first build party we did 6 1919s including internals machining and parking and the welding this was 2 years or so ago..:) we spent 4 days.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I believe the So Kal one day build we had earlier this year at Camp Lucky was 7 or so ?? or close to that.... didn't include machining or test firing.

Don't forget to take pics during all the excitement! :D

·
PhD in Over-Engineering
12,161 Posts
We got 8 guns built for sure, though not all were parked that day. We had some unexpected equipment shortages, particularly with riveting equipment when the Plinker Jig got bent early on. Log jams at the sand blaster were another challenge. I believe the record is 9 at one of lobo's events.

4 days, TARG??? ;)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Perhaps Lobo or someone can make a list of things that will help the build go smoother, things people can do prior to coming to the build party. I would guess the blasting and Parkerizing will take the majority of the time. I have done all the prep I can think of to make things go smoothly on build day.

It sure is coming up fast!

·
Premium Member
6,504 Posts
9 in one day...with all the resources, equipment, etc you're pulling together I think you guys will top ours easily.

If you really want to be faster, every builder needs to clean their parts before arriving and if using the OOW parts sets remove the scrap rsp piece before arriving.

·
Premium Member
2,503 Posts
Good luck on...

...setting a new "record" of builds in one day.

Just remember, though, that faster isn't really better!!!! How many was ORF pumping out in a day that had all those issues? Maybe I'm old-fashioned, but good things come to those that wait (or have patience!) and take their time and do it right the first time!

I hope ya'll DO set a record of builds in one day, though. Just make sure that ya'll do it right!!!!

·
PhD in Over-Engineering
12,161 Posts
I have to agree with Dave S. I prefer to build mine slowly. (Ask iRIGHTi how we spent all day just doing his build!) I usually don't drill all the 3/16 holes to full size, but rather to .182 and then .185, #14 & 13 drills. The BB rivets usually fit perfectly in the .185 holes with no slop and that makes it easier to keep them straight when riveting. I do all the holes undersize initially and work up to needed diameter. An "R" drill usually works great on the large trunnion holes, No.7 on the top plate and rear cartridge stop. But if you try to do this at a party, you won't get three guns built. It is probably overkill, but I'm funny like that...:D

·
Registered
6,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I agree, the goal is not to set a record, but to build good firearms. I guess we'll have greater percentage attendance, since this is the first known build party in the mid-Atlantic and it might not happen again. With over 20 attending, we will have a roadblock at the bead-blasting, if we don't get more air compressors and beadblast cabinets. So far we have one 60 gallon and one 3 gallon air compressor coming, and I think one beadblast cabinet and maybe one more park tank. I am starting a new thread to get a final roster of people and equipment expected. Thanks for the suggestions, everyone.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Good Luck at your upcoming build party. Having attended Rollin's last party I'm sure he could have used a few clone's to help him. I think Rollin wore his shoe's out that day running to help everyone. Thank's again , you did an awesome job. It was like poetry in motion.

·
PhD in Over-Engineering
12,161 Posts
Thanks arctic2. If there was one big lesson I learned at the last one it was to not mix other stuff with 1919 building. I had others besides me to help, and more expert than I, but they were absorbed with helping on non 1919 builds. That was a bad idea, in hindsight. I was run ragged. I think the guru of home building parties is, and will always be, loboslanding. I am still learning how to make the party flow smoothly, but I learn much each time. I think you guys will have an awesome day. I wish you all the best and wish I could be there!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts