1919 A4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As usual, I have questions! I was noticing as I was looking at replacing the worn trunnion in my 1919a4, that I’ve accumulated a good many parts. Like with ARs, my mind started thinking...”wouldn’t have to go far to start another build”...
Then I wondered, what is the story on the 1917 water cooled? Do they get built too? Where does one find parts, especially the ones that aren’t shared with a 1919? What are the differences, yada yada....Barrel, water jacket assemble, sights....and what else?
Now, I don’t doubt this is a very broad subject, so I’m just wondering in general....I know the tripods are a much more complicated, and expensive, proposition. But maybe it’s more doable than a M2 HB?
Thoughts in general?

·
Registered
833 Posts
I think the main issue is going to be finding a waterjacket.... I don't know of any sources other than a private seller that has one squirreled away.

·
Registered
254 Posts
You need a different top cover as well. Those are getting hard to find. If you don't mind a bit of Franken gun you can use a 1928 water jacket but those are hard to find now 2. Going to have to be private sellers most likely

·
Premium Member
779 Posts
Lots of guys here have kits and parts for water cooled Browning type guns. Put up a want to buy add and I’m sure you can hook one if you decide to go that way.
I like the water cooled Brownings waaay more than the air cooled guns. It’s not just the water jacket. The sight base is wider, I find more accurate. The gun is heavier, which adds to stability and consistency. The tripods are much nicer. I built a 1928 out of my transferable 1919a4. I like it way more.
Doo it! Doo it! Doo it! Do it! Do it!
738BB285-A58F-4797-8066-C78905F51341.jpeg
574E626E-48BB-4FBA-9E8B-C43590B44F91.jpeg
C6BF11BE-BCAE-41D5-A2BA-75644E69D6BB.jpeg
CB2EC756-8237-4177-9DCB-A5F64621D12A.jpeg
0D914F80-58A3-4D0E-B9E2-F47A29287815.jpeg
332F11D1-A871-42D8-B7F2-0E5383F70418.jpeg
9C46ADF5-C483-4BEA-928A-628ECB1ADFB3.jpeg

·
Premium Member
5,571 Posts
The parts are out there but you have to keep your nose to the ground. Water jackets and top covers come up just not as often as they used to but they are out there and it is an easier build than an M2HB and also easier to sell when that day comes. I love water cooleds myself so whether you do a WWI or WWII you can't loose IMHO

Reactions: Lucky#13

·
Premium Member
733 Posts
In have a M1917A1 and a M1910 Russian Maxim and they are a thrill to shoot. It is a good day at the range with a lot of preparation on the front to get thing ready and back end to clean up. I have no problem at the range to get folks to help clean the guns, load belts (10 rounds et al NJ) and help carry the stuff to the Jeep.

Attachments

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Man, those are some good looking firearms. Mr. Duke...just....wow!

Let’s see....what can I sell for parts money? Would the kids miss that Xbox thing they’re always talking about? :unsure:

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
The build itself is not that difficult, as noted by everyone else, the parts are hard to find. Even several years ago, I had to beg Landies fora 28 kit, and got lucky in that they had a floor sweepings kit. The parts are sitting in people's garages - you just have to find the guy who realizes he is never going to get around to making the gun. :sneaky:

the question of semi vs real is another discussion.
:giggle:

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
I'm assuming you're talking about a semi, but either way keep in mind that the M1928 and M1917A1 are very close in appearance, but the M1917A1 parts are going to cost you a ton more.

Another option is to look for a built semi from OOW (or, other). These are often parkerized (not blued) and done so quite poorly. Get one and put some elbow grease into it, polish it, and blue it. If you're lucky you can get into one of these for about the price of the parts.

·
PhD in Over-Engineering
12,161 Posts
Water Cooled Brownings are cool. More cumbersome perhaps, more expensive and hard to find parts, but the results speak for themselves, as Mike Duke's pics can attest, as well as MG08s. I did have the pleasure of putting few rounds through Mike's 1928 after the SHOT Show, and he has the gun, pod and his shooting spot totally dialed in.
20200126_133839 (1280x720).jpg

Here's one I did up years ago, photo courtesy of the museum it was built for.

1917a1.jpg

Another one built some time back, blued finish.

100_7067.JPG

·
Registered
254 Posts
Not to high jack the thread but what is the correct finish for a 1917a1 (well a 1928 water jacket). Blue? Or park?

·
PhD in Over-Engineering
12,161 Posts
Not to high jack the thread but what is the correct finish for a 1917a1 (well a 1928 water jacket). Blue? Or park?
A 1917A1 configuration would have been Parkerized, though some components might be black oxide finished (blued.) The rear sight leaf assemblies in WWII seem to have commonly had the black oxide / blued finish, for example. That's true of some A4s as well, the blued sight leaf.

A 1917 from the WWI period would be blued, usually a cold rust blue finish. I have done a few blued 1917A1s, per customer preference. Not historically accurate, but they look nice!

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Oh, you guys pretty much had me at hello. I ordered my first M1917A1 specific part yesterday....
Don’t tell my wife! :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So is anyone sitting on any parts that might be a good deal? As of now, except for the back plate and top latch, and most of the internals, I need darn near all of it.
Will probably wait on the tripod though.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
The tripods are getting harder and harder to find and the prices keep going up also. I would not pass on a good deal if one is found.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
This is a pretty good deal

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
Devote 100% of your efforts into finding the water jacket/trunion first. That is going to be the hardest part to find. Everything else is readily available with the exception of the topcover.

Also, learn to identify the differences between a 1928 water jacket/trunion and a 1917 water jacket/trunion. It is very common for sellers to not know the difference.

·
Registered
254 Posts
A 1917A1 configuration would have been Parkerized, though some components might be black oxide finished (blued.) The rear sight leaf assemblies in WWII seem to have commonly had the black oxide / blued finish, for example. That's true of some A4s as well, the blued sight leaf.

A 1917 from the WWI period would be blued, usually a cold rust blue finish. I have done a few blued 1917A1s, per customer preference. Not historically accurate, but they look nice!
Thank you for the info. I love the look of a 1917 (blued) but want it correct as a 1917a1

1 - 20 of 32 Posts