1919 A4 Forums banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

Premium Member
Get one of each that way you can enjoy both styles 馃槈 WWI blued guns are great with the dovetailed receivers but the classic WWII 17A1 is also nice so why torture yourself trying to decide.

Reactions: GBYENKO

Registered
Just found this place online 1917a1.com . I've never ordered from them and don't know anything about them BUT they apparently have/build reproduction 1917a1 parts. They might be able to help if you go with the 1917a1 over the 1919a4

Registered
Lol.... that is the website of our very own Lucky#13. 馃槈

Reactions: GBYENKO

PhD in Over-Engineering
Lol.... that is the website of our very own Lucky#13. 馃槈
Dang. I've been outed again! 馃槻

I should point out that I am not selling most water cooled parts anymore, as what inventory of parts I have left (like top covers, rear sights, top latches etc) are all saved for my gun build obligations. Like everyone else, I can't replace these parts once they are gone. The repro 1917A1 rear sights went away when a boatload of originals showed up some years back, so the real deal can be purchased from Rick at BMG Parts Co for a great price. I do have a couple of things still, parts I reproduced and are not really available anywhere else. But that is mostly small stuff, like water cooled windage screws and springs. Also, USGI spec Belt Holding Pawl Brackets. (BMG Parts carries those parts as well, which he gets through me.) We are all hoping that new made water jackets will make a comeback, but time will tell- if and when. Anyway, what I still make available is on the website, and I think I have notated there which parts I can no longer sell. But what there is in terms of surplus 1917A1 parts that can still be obtained from my "secret" suppliers is something I am happy to share with people on an individual basis, if you don't already know.

Registered
Oops 馃槵. Was i not supposed to let that cat out of the bag??

PhD in Over-Engineering

Registered
Discussion Starter #27
Well, I guess first I should ask, how do I know a 1928 water jacket from a 1917a1? 28 is blued, 17 is parked? Or is there more to it?

PhD in Over-Engineering
What makes it easier is that you are not likely to find a military production jacket. They are extremely rare on the market, as most that surplussed out were built into transferable guns decades ago. In contrast, even though the 1928 jackets were limited production, literally hundreds of them, maybe more, were imported back from Argentina, and the kits were often broken up. So, 1928 jackets were commonly available for years. The most visible feature to identify a 1928 jacket is a number sequence on the top of the trunnion. Colt manufactured jackets were numbered from 1 to 926, according to the published qty of guns Colt build for the Argentine contract. Later, Argentina licensed production from Colt, and made their own 1928s. Those jackets will have a five digit number, starting with an 01 prefix. I've heard rumors of 02 sequence prefixes, but have never seen an example. Military jackets will have various proof marks that are too complex to describe here, and often a mfg code, such as the W in a circle that represents N.E. Westinghouse mfg. There were also a couple of hundred new made jackets, of various configurations, made by forum member ohioblacksheep. These are works of art, made better than the originals ever dreamed of being. They are what I use in most of my water cooled builds, but they have not been made for a few years. Would be very hard to find one not already built on at this point.

I should address finish as well. The 1928s were blued, as issued. Many 1917A1s- the WWII version- used WWI production jackets. These are the bronze trunnion/end cap jackets, which also describes the 1928s of course. These jackets would have been blued from WWI production, to start. The Ordnance Dept ordered all existing stocks be used before any new jackets were made. There are no new guns built between 1919 and 1941, just fyi, except a few air cooled aircraft and tank variations right after the first war. Most of the 1917s went into long term storage after WWI, as few were ready in time to see action, and they only needed so many for training purposes. But, when the A1 version is adopted, just before 1940, many NOS 1917s got the upgrade, and would then have been parkerized. Several thousand unmodified 1917s went to the Brits in Lend Lease, and remained in WWI configuration, blued. Also, many NOS 1917s were converted to 1919A4s, in which case the essentially new jacket was removed and put into a new made Rock Island Arsenal marked receiver, then issued as a 1917A1, with its Westinghouse, Remington or Colt markings intact. This is why many WWII water cooleds have bronze jacket parts, from using up the old WWI parts. Only when they ran out, in the second half of WWII, were new jackets made. Those are the all steel jackets. All WWII Brownings would have been parkerized as a matter of course. Any exceptions to that would be out of the norm, but are theoretically possible.

Registered
Surprised nobody mentioned the cost of the 1917A1 rear sights, they ain鈥檛 cheap and are near impossible to find except from BMG Parts. Only thing harder to find is the correct tripod.
CaptMax

21 - 32 of 32 Posts