1919 A4 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
703 Posts
I can take pix and the like for tou of mine.
I would think it would be easier to buy one.
Seems like a fairly complex mount to me but I will admit, its the coolest of them all. :D

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for that. I agree it is a complex mount. The odd shaped side plates are complex in shape along with the pintle mount that sits between these plates. A good side shot pix of the plates would be great, thanks!
I agree with you it would be easy to buy one, but i haven't seen one for years over here in the UK. There is one up for grabs at ?750 and its not gold plated either. By the way you don't happen to have a M1917A1 sitting on your mount do you,as i am after water jacket info as well.

·
Watercooled Addict
2,092 Posts
That price you quoted on the 1917a1 tripod is actually less than they are selling for over here in the usa. If you buy the original it will do nothing but appreciate and probably do so quite rapidly. A homeade one is not going to do that and I will suspect you will have close to that in it when you are done if your time is worth anything. I have access to a lot of metalworking equitment and I prefer to put my efforts into restoring originals instead of fabricating them as the first option is much more profitable. If you still need them I can post a few pics of a tripod for you.

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
BC312,

Email me and I can see about sending you pic's of the 1917A1 tripod that I build, plus the the water jacket. Sorry I don't have prints, was working a lot from pic's and a few parts I came up with. Lou

·
Registered
58 Posts
I just got my hand picked 1917 tripod from OOW, man what a beauty!! Dated 1941 on the brass plate, the leather belt is in great shape, little oily tho. A few scrathes on the paint, nothing in my opinion looks as cool as a water cooled MG on a 1917a1 tripod. Now, do i remove all the paint from the brass and polish it or do I leave it all alone? The only brass thats not painted is the circular scale on teh base. NO PRESSURE Lou, but there is an empty tripod calling out for its gun.

·
Registered
703 Posts
I polished all the brass on mine. Removed the paint from it and buffed it.

Sounds like you have a better source for the pix since he builds them too.
I don't havea water cooled either. Yet. I use it for my 1919's.
Good Luck! I didn't realize you were across the pond. I was gonna say they were available here.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Build a 1917 Cradle

I have a head start on building a 1917 Tripod if anyones interested. These are all stock U.S.G.I. parts.
The left and right Cradle sides.
The T&E mechanism
The Pintel Block.
Misc hardware.
It needs to finish....
The tripod pintel fork
the pivot bolts and clamps,
I bought this to finish, but haven't pursued it. I'm not interested in selling any of the parts seperate. I'd rather locate the missing parts or sell/trade the whole thing to someone else. I have about $325 in it.
TiredIron

1 - 8 of 8 Posts