1919 A4 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought some 30cal M80 FMJBT w/ cannelure bullets to reload. They said that the bullets were handpulled . But the bullet below the cannelure had some black glue or laquer on it. I put it a vibrator case cleaner and ran it for 3 hours but it didn't come clean. I then put "Goof-off" cleaner on it and it came off. Is it necessary to clean this off and is there a easy way. It seems to me to clean each bullet with "Goof-off" would take some time. Thanks!

·
Registered
6,945 Posts
....case sealer

The tar-like substance is a military expedient method of sealing the bullet to the case for water-proofing. This was done per contract specs and most often the primer was also sealed,usually w/red or purple colored sealer. It does not affect the bullet or the burn rate of the powder. Leave it on the bullets...save yourself the hassle.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Sounds like someone pulled the bullets out of all there OFV (AKA Indian) marked rounds, These rounds are on the surplus market and for certain years they had a quality control issue of under powdered rounds (squibs) the bullet would lodge in the barrel and the next round fired would go KA-BOOM. The only problems with the tar sealer have been the guys shooting HK G3 style weapons (Fluted chamber) as the tar fills the flutes and the weapon then jams with a round stuck in the chamber. Do to the squib problems some importers have pulled the rounds and broken them up for componets in reloading.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts